Flash gif quality help

Xenonsoft

Hi all,

Trying to get the quality of this gif to work, to add as an advertisement at the bottom of GDF's main page.

I'm very new to flash, and as such don't quite no why it's reduced the quality and how to stop it doing that.

gdf_ad329.gif

Never used flash before, thought it was just for creating Flash files to be honest, not .gifs, the only thing I can contribute is maybe you have an optimisation setting too high.

I used to use Adobe Image Ready for animated .gifs before I got Photoshop CS3. If you can't sort it out and don't have any other software then try here: http://www.image-tools.com/Animated-GIF-Generator-Tool.php

Just upload your 3 frames and put them on an infinite loop, dunno if it's any good, let us know if you try it.

Sorry I can't help more :icon_dunno: Sure somebody will be along with the answer shortly.

How have you saved it? If you can give me the whole process, I may be able to help.

I recently found quite a good solution for getting good quality low file size animated gif files in flash.

EDIT: Also have you got fireworks?

Last edited:
Hi Helen. I have Fireworks yeah, although only ventured onto it twice. If I can do it on that I might give it a go.

The way I did it is as follows:

Get the background, put it on the stage via pasting, then put it in place. Then make another layer, with the text on, and sort all that out. Then go to File -> Export -> Export as Movie, save as a gif, 100 for the JPEG slider.

If you need more detail I can try and go through it again :).

Try this

File -> Export -> Export Movie - select png sequence as the save as type. (Save in a new folder on your desktop or something, as all the frames will save individually)

With fireworks its File-> Open + then select ALL the images and make sure open as animation is selected before clicking on open.

Then File -> Image Preview, then select Animated Gif from the Format drop down menu, then click on Export - give it a name and save it ( Make sure Images Only is selected in the Export menu ).

Any problems give me a shout, I should be on here for the rest of the night

One thing to note, gradients in gif files can look awful.

This is true, especially when optimised as certain colours are removed to reduce the file size, making the gradient blocky.

If you don't optimise you will no doubt be over the 10/12kb limit, I would stick with flat colours.

Thanks Helen! Also, cheers Col, I've removed the gradient to make it easier.

Here's the finished effort after doing your trick Helen, many thanks!

gdf_ad330.gif

Actually, I may have to disagree with you about the gradient part. Using my little trick up there, sorts it right out. I have an example, but I don't know how to load it up to a forum. (It was an avatar)

Actually, I may have to disagree with you about the gradient part. Using my little trick up there, sorts it right out. I have an example, but I don't know how to load it up to a forum. (It was an avatar)

You can indeed get decent gradients in GIF files, but that means having a high colour count (256) which would increase the file size and I think the aim here was to get a small file size for the purpose of an advertising banner :)

My first comment was based around low colour library GIFs >64 :icon_biggrin:

I'm very much a Flash novice... more of an old fashioned print designer I'm afraid. But it's demanded of me more and more frequently. Helen, many thanks for your superb explanation. Without your simple instruction I would have been bald by the end of the day. Cheers!

Back