Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire!!! Fire!!!!

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Tom Sound, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Ok, so maybe that's a bit dramatic but it could have been worse.

[​IMG]

This is my second powerbook power cable to burn through as shown in the pic above. When my first one went through over a year ago, I was so busy I just binned it, thought that was lucky and bought another.

Has anyone else had this, or heard of this? At £70ish a pop they're not cheap, and it's pretty dangerous really, bit of smoke with a little flame and fizzing sound. It could easily have set my shoe alight, with Me in it!!!!!!

Tim, I know you 'know someone' who works where they sell em ;) Have they seen much of this before?

anyone else?

2. personally not had a problem with my power pack though I have heard of this sort of thing happening a lot elsewhere :(

That really sucks Tom :( is it completely busted now or does it still work?

3. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I just burnt loads of paperwork! next time we are going to shred then burn see if its more fun.

4. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Nah, see the black bit on the thin cable, it's completely burnt through it, good job I was there when it happened I suppose. I've just ordered another new one :rolleyes:

Is it worth sending to Apple or just bin it again?

I could send this pic with it... tell then my gerbil bought it :cry:

[​IMG]

5. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

tim is gonna sort you out!

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

wasn't there a spate of this type of thing with the magnetic link end on the macbook pro's etc too, iirc apple sorted most for free too.

iirc it was caused by too little flexi shielding around the joint and over time it broke due to it being bent etc. I'd contact apple and see what they say as this is the second one to do it, it won't cost anything to try :).

7. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I'll check my Powerbook cable...cripes!

8. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hahahaha thats Mac for ya ;)

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

Get yourself a featured post on Berry's rant blog!
    On a serious note I would contact Apple about this, as the others have said, as it's happened twice in a row, and they're not cheap to replace.

10. tim

tim Senior Member

It'll be replaced for free.

Never seenthis before.

Get to an apple store !

11. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Thanks Timbo and everyone else ( not you Glen :lol: ), I'll do just that... "Tim said..... Yadda yadda yadda......"

:D

12. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Attached Files:

13. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Don't get me started on Dell laptops.....:mad:

14. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Is that yours Ally? I wouldn't use it unattended :eek:

15. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

It is yeah! Use it unattended, what do you mean like leave it on while i'm not there?! cos its always left on!

16. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

oh dear, take it to an apple store like Tim said and change it if they will, is the internal cable OK then? At least put some insulation tape round it. I got flamage from mine so was lucky I saw /smelt it. :up:

17. tim

tim Senior Member

go through a genius bar appointment to get it swapped out- sometimes the staff just dont have authority to swap it out.