Fire!!! Fire!!!!

Tom Sound

Ok, so maybe that's a bit dramatic but it could have been worse.

cablephoto.jpg

This is my second powerbook power cable to burn through as shown in the pic above. When my first one went through over a year ago, I was so busy I just binned it, thought that was lucky and bought another.

Has anyone else had this, or heard of this? At £70ish a pop they're not cheap, and it's pretty dangerous really, bit of smoke with a little flame and fizzing sound. It could easily have set my shoe alight, with Me in it!!!!!!

Tim, I know you 'know someone' who works where they sell em ;) Have they seen much of this before?

anyone else?

personally not had a problem with my power pack though I have heard of this sort of thing happening a lot elsewhere :(

That really sucks Tom :( is it completely busted now or does it still work?

I just burnt loads of paperwork! next time we are going to shred then burn see if its more fun.

chrismitchell said:
personally not had a problem with my power pack though I have heard of this sort of thing happening a lot elsewhere :(

That really sucks Tom :( is it completely busted now or does it still work?

Nah, see the black bit on the thin cable, it's completely burnt through it, good job I was there when it happened I suppose. I've just ordered another new one :rolleyes:

Is it worth sending to Apple or just bin it again?

I could send this pic with it... tell then my gerbil bought it :cry:

job4.jpg

wasn't there a spate of this type of thing with the magnetic link end on the macbook pro's etc too, iirc apple sorted most for free too.

iirc it was caused by too little flexi shielding around the joint and over time it broke due to it being bent etc. I'd contact apple and see what they say as this is the second one to do it, it won't cost anything to try :).

Get yourself a featured post on Berry's rant blog!
On a serious note I would contact Apple about this, as the others have said, as it's happened twice in a row, and they're not cheap to replace.

Thanks Timbo and everyone else ( not you Glen :lol: ), I'll do just that... "Tim said..... Yadda yadda yadda......"

:D

It is yeah! Use it unattended, what do you mean like leave it on while i'm not there?! cos its always left on!

allyally2k said:
It is yeah! Use it unattended, what do you mean like leave it on while i'm not there?! cos its always left on!

oh dear, take it to an apple store like Tim said and change it if they will, is the internal cable OK then? At least put some insulation tape round it. I got flamage from mine so was lucky I saw /smelt it. :up:

go through a genius bar appointment to get it swapped out- sometimes the staff just dont have authority to swap it out.

Back