Feedback on airport logo design appreciated

Jane_321

Hi,

I'm working on a school project where we have to redesign a logo for an airport.
This is the first design I've made (after a bunch of sketches).
I'm aiming for a professional, yet friendly to all look,
because people from all sorts of background go to airport.
Also recognisable, easily understood, even for those who can't read English.
I don't think my design convey that message.
It feels generic, unprofessional and slightly old fashion to me.
I think the icon may read more like a rocket? Any critique and suggestion would be great.
Don't mind the choice of fonts, the texts' more of a place holder for now.

I included the original design for comparison

I think you've answered your own question, it would be fine without the badly drawn plane and just the contrails and once
you've chosen an appropriate font. Don't make 'airport' smaller than Launceston, it's all one title.

Does no one esle see the 'atari logo' in the new design?

Got to be honest I prefer the old one, you could get closer by removing your plane (it looks more like a rocket to me anyway) and just keeping the atari swooshes, then fix the kerning and font choices/sizes for the text.

I suspect however your teacher is expecting slightly more of a rework to the brand rather than essentially having the same design with a new 'icon' added.

I've done more sketches and designs since I uploaded this design. This is bad, I don't know what I was thinking...

Does no one esle see the 'atari logo' in the new design?

Got to be honest I prefer the old one, you could get closer by removing your plane (it looks more like a rocket to me anyway) and just keeping the atari swooshes, then fix the kerning and font choices/sizes for the text.

I suspect however your teacher is expecting slightly more of a rework to the brand rather than essentially having the same design with a new 'icon' added.

The old one's definitely better than mine.
This logo (mine)'s bad. I've designed logos before and I can do better than this. Don't know what I was thinking...
"it looks more like a rocket to me anyway" Agreed. " then fix the kerning and font choices/sizes for the text. " Like I said in the OP the text are just place holder for now, I haven't actually decided on what font to use or anything like that. But that's a very good advice.

I think you've answered your own question, it would be fine without the badly drawn plane and just the contrails and once
you've chosen an appropriate font. Don't make 'airport' smaller than Launceston, it's all one title.

I'm a lil embarrassed by this logo tbh... I've designed logos before and I know I can (and had) make something better than this. Too bad it doesn't seem like I can delete this thread...
You got some really nice illustrations on your website by the way, I really like the maps you did

Why would you want to delete it? It has good feedback and you can continue to post other designs for this logo.

Don't give up! You CAN do it!

Thanks Jane. Don't be too put off by what we say, we've all being doing this for many years. Certainly don't be embarrassed - we see stuff that is a LOT worse
than what you've posted!

You've been dropped in it to a certain extent in that there's nothing really wrong with the original logo. If it was just a rebrand then there would not be much to do
other than update what's already there. If it's a total redesign, then you can do what you want, but keep it simple, don't overthink it to try to do something really
clever. You probably have already, but just Google 'airport logo' and see what's out there. Simple shapes, flat colours, modern, friendly font etc.

Like I said in the OP the text are just place holder for now, I haven't actually decided on what font to use or anything like that.
Often I'll start with the text, finding a font that 'feels' right and more than likely tweaking it a bit to make it suit the brand better. Even after all this time, picking fonts is still one of the biggest challenges I face when I have a branding job, it's not an easy thing to get right a lot of the time.

You've been dropped in it to a certain extent in that there's nothing really wrong with the original logo.

This happens a lot in education. There was a similar thread a while ago where a student (I believe) was tasked with rebranding IKEA. IKEA doesn't need rebranding so it's an uphill struggle from the start. With this example, the logo is pretty much spot on. The lines are remeniscent of postage marks you'd find on a postcard from an exotic location, and there's the tail end of a plane included in there too. If this airline came to me for a rebrand I'd send them away, I don't think I could come up with something better if I had 10 years to work on it. The original team nailed the design.

With this example, the logo is pretty much spot on. The lines are remeniscent of postage marks you'd find on a postcard from an exotic location, and there's the tail end of a plane included in there too. If this airline came to me for a rebrand I'd send them away, I don't think I could come up with something better if I had 10 years to work on it. The original team nailed the design.

I thought exactly the same myself, that's already a great logo.

...how about some windows below the text, like it would be written on the side of a plane, or put it all within a triangle like the tail, just some thoughts.

Often I'll start with the text, finding a font that 'feels' right and more than likely tweaking it a bit to make it suit the brand better. Even after all this time, picking fonts is still one of the biggest challenges I face when I have a branding job, it's not an easy thing to get right a lot of the time.

This happens a lot in education. There was a similar thread a while ago where a student (I believe) was tasked with rebranding IKEA. IKEA doesn't need rebranding so it's an uphill struggle from the start. With this example, the logo is pretty much spot on. The lines are remeniscent of postage marks you'd find on a postcard from an exotic location, and there's the tail end of a plane included in there too. If this airline came to me for a rebrand I'd send them away, I don't think I could come up with something better if I had 10 years to work on it. The original team nailed the design.

Yeah, rebranding a brand that’s working is really hard, thankfully I don’t think my teacher expect us to come up with something better than the original. He won’t be comparing the two. We ’just’ need to come up with something somewhat decent for student work standard.

z
Thanks Jane. Don't be too put off by what we say, we've all being doing this for many years. Certainly don't be embarrassed - we see stuff that is a LOT worse
than what you've posted!

You've been dropped in it to a certain extent in that there's nothing really wrong with the original logo. If it was just a rebrand then there would not be much to do
other than update what's already there. If it's a total redesign, then you can do what you want, but keep it simple, don't overthink it to try to do something really
clever. You probably have already, but just Google 'airport logo' and see what's out there. Simple shapes, flat colours, modern, friendly font etc.

Thanks for the encouragment, I wasn’t put off by the things you guys said but more of just looking my work...
I haven’t been here for long, so I don’t really have any idea what things are being posted lol

It’s a total redesign, for this school project we are basically just borrowing the name ’Launceston Airport’ or whichever airport you choose. I chose that because I’ve been there a few times before.

Instead of make a logo using plane, flying or similar themes(?). Do you think using something that’s really well know locally would work? For example Quantas airline’s logo is a kangaroo

Instead of make a logo using plane, flying or similar themes(?). Do you think using something that’s really well know locally would work? For example Quantas airline’s logo is a kangaroo

I'm not sure if Launceston would have anything nationally recognisable, I only know of the castle. Maybe a tail fin with castellated bits like a turret, but done very simply?

I'm not sure if Launceston would have anything nationally recognisable, I only know of the castle. Maybe a tail fin with castellated bits like a turret, but done very simply?

Sorry, forgot to mention, I'm from Australia. So it's Launceston in Tasmania, not the UK. We have the Tasmanian devil, they are only found in Tasmania.

Ah. I thought our Launceston was a bit small to have an airport!

Yes, the devil would be good as long as it's not been used before, and as long as you don't use the cartoon version!

Back