External Hard Drive

jasonwall said:
We used western digital throughout the company and had 5 1TB mybooks of which 4 crashed and burned, unable to retrieve any information, they lasted just over 2 years. We may of been extremely unlucky but I personally wouldn't touch a western digital again.

Funny you should say that Jason, we've just had a Western digital internal drive die on us, doh!

matt said:
If you get a 2TB drive but with 2 x 1TB SATA drives, you can then format it to RAID 1 which basically gives you 1TB of storage but automatically mirrors everything onto the other 1TB. As they're separate drives if one should fail you have an identical copy on the other.

It obviously makes it an expensive 1TB drive, but with added security. And if it's full of commercial projects etc. then it's certainly worth it.

Thanks for this Matt, didn't spot your post way back then. We're sorting something similar to this out at the moment :up:

I recently bought this little gem, Hitachi 1TB for only £63. Its smart-looking and works fine so far.
Hitachi LS-1000-EMEA 3.5-inch 1TB Simpledrive External: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
319ST-zQdlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have a portable WD 300GB passport (or whatever stupid name they gave it) and its worked flawlessly. When buying HDDs I would stick with known brands like WD, Seagate, Samsung etc... People will always have preferences based on past experience but if you get one from the 3 brands I mentioned you can't really go too far wrong.

Edit -

Oh you bought one already. Let us know how you get on with it :p.

chrismitchell said:
Western Digital do good passport external hard drives :) got a 250gb one myself.. their 1tb ones are good too apparently :)

I have a western Digital passport one.
Rate nifty little thing :D

Back