Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPI for printing

Discussion in 'Printing & Print Design Forum:' started by HippySunshine, Oct 27, 2009.

1. HippySunshine

HippySunshine Senior Member

Ok so im learning about printing a bit more and just need to know a couple of things.

Whats the best DPI and format for a client to send over a ready made logo to me, in order for me to design them a business card that includes this logo?

They asked me, im not sure, so im hoping you can help.

2. Becky

Becky Member

300DPi, request an EPS if possible. If not hedge your bets on a PDF or a very high quality JPEG/TIFF

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

As Becky said EPS (CMYK) is first option, and there's always an outside chance they'll have the AI file so worth asking for that as second.

4. Becky

Becky Member

or failing that a Corel Draw or a very outside chance, Freehand file. However, most of the time EPS/AI are your best bet.

But don't be shocked if they don't have them. I've spent alot of time re-drawing logos from alleged "high quality" JPEGS :(

5. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

^^ me too!!

6. Becky

Becky Member

sadly, it's just so much quicker than asking for better files or trying to work with bad stuff lol :(

7. HippySunshine

Ok... whats an EPS? I think I have a rough idea as I just googled it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

8. charles

charles Senior Member

most people say 300 dpi but a lot of printers like to work to 600 if has text as well to get it extra clean

9. Becky

Becky Member

If you have a few pennies to spare, might I suggest this book?

From Design into Print: Preparing Graphics and Text for Professional Printing: Amazon.co.uk: Sandee Cohen: Books

It's a nice quick reference for working in print (well, it's not intended as a quick ref, but it's useful as one, as well as some more in depth information)

or http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9780316906586 which is also a great quick ref

EPS is a postscript file, and is great for logos as it retains the vector information ergo, no bitmapping and no quality, resizing or other such problems. (really simplified explanation, my brains a little frazzled :p)

10. HippySunshine

Thanks everyone. Once again a huge help.
    Becky, I shall add that book to my Xmas wishlist :p

11. Becky

Becky Member

Good luck with the business cards!

I think I just need to stop buying books, I have so many now... and the Smashing Magazine book on the way too, >< maybe I should review some of them lol

12. HippySunshine

Definitley do a book review!
    I was thinking about pre-ordering the SM one too. Maybe another Xmas wishlift idea!

Im going to be getting a library for xmas this year I think.