DPI for printing

HippySunshine

Ok so im learning about printing a bit more and just need to know a couple of things.

Whats the best DPI and format for a client to send over a ready made logo to me, in order for me to design them a business card that includes this logo?

They asked me, im not sure, so im hoping you can help.

300DPi, request an EPS if possible. If not hedge your bets on a PDF or a very high quality JPEG/TIFF

As Becky said EPS (CMYK) is first option, and there's always an outside chance they'll have the AI file so worth asking for that as second.

or failing that a Corel Draw or a very outside chance, Freehand file. However, most of the time EPS/AI are your best bet.

But don't be shocked if they don't have them. I've spent alot of time re-drawing logos from alleged "high quality" JPEGS :(

sadly, it's just so much quicker than asking for better files or trying to work with bad stuff lol :(

most people say 300 dpi but a lot of printers like to work to 600 if has text as well to get it extra clean

If you have a few pennies to spare, might I suggest this book?

From Design into Print: Preparing Graphics and Text for Professional Printing: Amazon.co.uk: Sandee Cohen: Books

It's a nice quick reference for working in print (well, it's not intended as a quick ref, but it's useful as one, as well as some more in depth information)

or http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9780316906586 which is also a great quick ref

EPS is a postscript file, and is great for logos as it retains the vector information ergo, no bitmapping and no quality, resizing or other such problems. (really simplified explanation, my brains a little frazzled :p)

Good luck with the business cards!

I think I just need to stop buying books, I have so many now... and the Smashing Magazine book on the way too, >< maybe I should review some of them lol

Becky said:
Good luck with the business cards!

I think I just need to stop buying books, I have so many now... and the Smashing Magazine book on the way too, >< maybe I should review some of them lol

Definitley do a book review!
I was thinking about pre-ordering the SM one too. Maybe another Xmas wishlift idea!

Im going to be getting a library for xmas this year I think.

Back