Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a graphics card?

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Feyspire, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Feyspire

Feyspire New Member

I'm looking to build a new PC, but I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm trying to buy my hardware wisely. I mostly need it for running Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign for my degree studies.

I also want use Photoshop for detailed, multi layered illustration (fantasy art).

I realise I need to focus on getting a decent processor, RAM and storage first. However, I'm reading lots of conflicting advice as to what graphics card, if any, I actually need?

Will an Intel i5 6400 S alone be sufficient for my needs, or do I need a dedicated card?

I was hoping some of you fellow illustrators could lend some advice.

Many thanks
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

while the skylake built in gpu isn't bad it's usually better to have a dedicated graphics card. A mid range graphics card such as a gtx970 or the newer gtx1060 would be a world of difference over the built in one.

The best thing to do is put up your budget and we can see if we can spec something for you.
  3. Feyspire

Feyspire New Member

Would I really need a graphics card that powerful? I'm not doing any 3D or video editing or gaming. Those cards would blow around half my budget.

I have a budget of £500 to £550. I already have a 250gb SSD, monitor, case and peripherals. I need a new version of Windows too for my SSD.

So essentaily I need a CPU, motherboard, gfx card, RAM, OS, probably a HDD for files/data.