Do I need a graphics card?

Feyspire

Hi

I'm looking to build a new PC, but I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm trying to buy my hardware wisely. I mostly need it for running Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign for my degree studies.

I also want use Photoshop for detailed, multi layered illustration (fantasy art).

I realise I need to focus on getting a decent processor, RAM and storage first. However, I'm reading lots of conflicting advice as to what graphics card, if any, I actually need?

Will an Intel i5 6400 S alone be sufficient for my needs, or do I need a dedicated card?

I was hoping some of you fellow illustrators could lend some advice.

Many thanks

while the skylake built in gpu isn't bad it's usually better to have a dedicated graphics card. A mid range graphics card such as a gtx970 or the newer gtx1060 would be a world of difference over the built in one.

The best thing to do is put up your budget and we can see if we can spec something for you.

Would I really need a graphics card that powerful? I'm not doing any 3D or video editing or gaming. Those cards would blow around half my budget.

I have a budget of £500 to £550. I already have a 250gb SSD, monitor, case and peripherals. I need a new version of Windows too for my SSD.

So essentaily I need a CPU, motherboard, gfx card, RAM, OS, probably a HDD for files/data.

Thanks

Back