Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crit my homepage prototype for my Dad's roofing business...

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by thomashodgson, Mar 5, 2009.

1. thomashodgson

thomashodgson Senior Member

My Dad is a self employed roofing contractor and he has asked me to put a site together to promote his business. He has been quite vague about the content/purpose/function of the site, just saying he wants some sort of web presence, and the site should be simple with "nothing too fancy...".

Here's what I've come up with so far...

[​IMG]
    Any comments/advice/criticism is more than welcome. I am finding this a touch project as I'm struggling to gauge what exactly he wants, and this is one client I can't afford to upset! :p

2. Harry

Harry Senior Member

I don't think the heading typeface works too well. I think plain browser text would suffice. Also, don't use 'Click here' for link text ;)

3. thomashodgson

4. I assume that the text won't be that big? Just seems to be enormous to me...

5. thomashodgson

The basic text or the headers? Basic is 14pt currently, perhaps I should try 12pt?

6. thomashodgson

[​IMG]
    Basic text now 12pt and headers now 24pt.

7. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

Better! I probably would have tabs for the nav, as the pin stripe conflicts with the nav there. Maybe also lose that pin stripe on the white house logo??

Its definitely NOT bad. It just needs a kick.

8. Adam

Adam Senior Member

Dropping the menu size will make it look better too, take the menu font size down a few points!

9. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

I just realised. You need to put in the header what Alyn does. Simply.

10. Adam

Adam Senior Member

Good point jHouse!

I think the bottom half of the page isn't too bad, but the top banner/nav needs re-doing, could you not work on a proper logo design for your dad, that way he can use it on anything else he needs later on? And it also means you can use it on the site etc

11. thomashodgson

Yeah it is now going to say 'Alyn Hodgson Roofing Designer' when I figure out how to make the text fit!

Cheers for all the pointers guys! Very helpful.

12. thomashodgson

That little roof image in the header is going to be his logo, hopefully it is going to be in the same place on his stationary and business cards etc. We just need to decide on the font as he has decided he doesn't like 'Duepuntzero' now!

13. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Tip: When making PSD mockups turn off anti aliasing on body copy ;)

14. thomashodgson

But then it looks nasty! Is it so it is more akin to what it would look like when rendered by a browser?

15. Adam

Adam Senior Member

You got it in one

16. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Yup. That's exactly why :)

17. thomashodgson

Well you learn something new every day!

Cheers boyyyyyyys.

18. Panix Media

Panix Media Junior Member

Is it a large roofing company or is it small and family ran?

Only reason I ask is because it kind of gives of a corporte feel. I'm not sure if i'd click deeper if all I wanted was a roof put on my shed

19. jHouse

jHouse Senior Member

Browsers dont anti-alias the text. It's the operating system. If you're running crappy Windows it will look shoddy.

Mac OS X renders the copy properly so its fine.

20. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Unless your using that ClearType? (on windows.... i think....)