Coding questions

Right, so I put them in even though they're useless?

Surely that's just pointless?

Should I just pick a number from thin air?

Nope it's far from pointless. The aren't useless at all. They control the form sizing when styles are disabled. You need them, they're required. Turn styles off and keep editing the numbers 'til the textarea is a suitable size.

lol Fred you miss understand, the Rows and Cols have a purpose, just using css and not specifying the values in the rows cols your bending the "validation" rules a little :)

You should consider eus viewing your site with css disabled, its just best practise to define values from the outset

Give Harry's suggestion a go to see what we mean.

I'll add it in now, just for that illusive green light, but it still seems reasonably pointless, as if people have styles turned off they're clearly not too fussed about sizes etc!

Cheers for all the help, learnt a couple of bits today.

Another point to remember, is just because a site validates doesn't mean its any good, there are many many fantastic websites out there that simply don't validate and have very sloppy code, it all boils down to how much you care, a little code snobbery, your target audience technological baseline and what your research informs you.

Yeah, I know what you mean Geoff.

It's all validating now, put in some numbers that were almost exactly the same size as with the CSS, firebug is fantastic.

Xenonsoft said:
I'll add it in now, just for that illusive green light, but it still seems reasonably pointless, as if people have styles turned off they're clearly not too fussed about sizes etc!

Cheers for all the help, learnt a couple of bits today.

If styles are disabled the UA needs to know what to do with that textarea. Firefox could decide on rendering it 50 by 10, IE could decide 25 by 5, Opera 30 by 15 etc etc. Those values tell all UAs how big they should make the textarea if there's no CSS to do it.

Yeah I get that, I just think that if people don't want styles then they can't be too fussed about how the output of a site comes out.

Wrong. I could go on for ages explaining why sites need to look acceptable with styles turned off but I don't have the time. Just imagine you're visually impaired so need to disable styles on a site, and you get a fooked up page. Gonna be a bit annoyed aren't you?

If you're visually impaired surely you would want to keep the styles turned on but just make the text larger?

I see your point, and declaring them has some use, but still, something that 99% of the time is more hassle than it's worth (I realise it doesn't take long, but it's another thing to remember to do).

Nope, styles off = higher contrast. It's not necessarily about text size.

It's a good standard to have, worth remembering. Just like alt attributes etc are.

hello.

my time for a question. anyone know how to create horizontal navigation through <ul> etc?

am building my new site right now :)

Nope Onartis. It's ul li {float:left;}

PHP:
<ul id="menu">
	<li><a href="./" title="Home">Home</a></li>
	<li><a href="about/" title="About Me">About</a></li>
	<li><a href="work/" title="My Work">Work</a></li>
	<li><a href="contact/" title="Contact Me">Contact</a></li>
	<li><a href="services/" title="My Services">Services</a></li>
</ul>

Code:
#menu{list-style:none;width:whateverpx;overflow:hidden;}#menu li{float:left;margin:0 5px;}#menu li a{display:block;padding:5px;}

I usually use display:inline for simple horisontal navigation instead of floating. Is that wrong Harry?

Back