Coding questions

Check heights again, make sure footer stuff is clear:both; and that floats are cleared.

EDIT: The page I've been working on looks tip-top in IE7—are they the same doc?

EDIT EDIT: Course they're not same doc, silly me. Check the markup on the problem page...

Clear:both eh, hadn't even heard of that before, my knowledge is pretty limited!

When you say floats are cleared, I take it you mean floats are specified to right/left as necessary, as shown in the link?

I'll look into doing it now.

If you have a container with two or more floated divs in, the container no longer occupies space (its dimensions become non-existent). To combat this simply apply a width and overflow:hidden; to the container.

Fixed it in IE, I indeed had way too many heights still in there, taken them out systematically and it all seems to be working still.

Regarding the above post, what are the implications of it no longer occupying space? Would that collapse it down to 0px height and 0px width, effectively showing not showing the floated divs or pushing them elsewhere?

Sorry for the constant questions, I'm just keen to understand what you're talking about :)

I'll make you an example mate :)

EDIT: Made one: http://csswizardry.com/floats/

When the elements are floated the container (green) collapses up (imagine the green is an elastic band and the red and blue are your fingers pulling it out sideways—the band would close up, right?). To stop it collapsing up, simply add a width declaration and overflow:hidden;

Goodness that was quick :lol:

Really helpful that, no idea how you managed to knock that up and post on here within 2minutes though :D

I'm gonna nick your code you had there and have a play, cheers :up:

That's just the way I roll ;)

Nah I'd made it before a while ago to show guys at work, and all I needed to do was send it to a public domain, ie mine. Use firebug to knock overflow:hidden; off the bottom one and see what happens.

Is it ok to have 2 stylesheets?

I was thinking of having one generic one that keeps everything as it should be and then one seperate one for each page, to specifically style that.

Obviously there might be conflicts but the specific one would have rules in to overrule the other (more specific tags).

Can it be done simply as follows?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style-index.css" />

more than one stylesheet is fine, any rules (duplicate rules) in the later one will override the previous

Hmm, just thought of a problem with it. It will only work if you know the size of the footer, but my footer changes size depending on the content..

Is it possible to text-indent right aligned text?

EDIT: The question still stands, but I've got a work-around for my simple problem.

Back