• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Choosing a Monitor

Hi

I hope I can pick your collective brains please. Firstly can I say I know nothing about graphics design!

My partner who is a graphics designer needs a new monitor to replace her CRT that is dying! From various searches etc I know a lot of people still rate CRT's and to get good colour replication on LCD is difficult. I know she uses pantone charts, sends artwork to printers (brochures / exhibition posters etc) so the colour and quality of the display image needs to be reasonable.

My budget is £500 UK Sterling max ....so for that kind of money should I stick to CRT or go with LCD? And most importantly do you have any product recommendations.

I apologise if this is something that you cover repetitively but I have searched a lot on the web and found very little in the way of monitor reviews aimed at graphics designers / desk top publishing.

Any help / pointers to where to go (for information :icon_smile: ) greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Thank you for the response Boss Hog ..its appreciated.

Yes she does use a Mac..actually she runs

a Mac ..with Quark
a laptop with vista and quark
adobe InDesign on an XP machine

The replacement screen is for the Mac..A g4 PowerPc.

Dell's Ultrasharp monitors have very good colour replication. The 2408WFP is a very good screen. It uses a S-PVA LCD panel so the colour reproduction and viewing angle are very good and it is well within your budget at £383 +VAT.

There is a very in depth review of this monitor at www.tftcentral.co.uk.

As with any screen unless it is calibrated the colour reproduction will be far from perfect but if your budget is £500 you can easily afford a cheap calibration device to go with it.

The Lacie Boss Hog suggested is out of my budget unfortunately ...although it looks very nice.

Any other options ...Anybody know a good CRT supplier?

And if I said what about the Dell 2408WFP or similiar would I cause mild amusement and pitying glances all around :icon_biggrin:?

IS-James you beat me to it! Well it sounds like I have chosen something not completely daft :) I will look at the reviews and get back

Cheers

DELL all the way - they're generally bang-on straight out of the box. I dragged my heels for years over LCD but now I wouldn't go back. :)

Dell's Ultrasharp monitors have very good colour replication. The 2408WFP is a very good screen. It uses a S-PVA LCD panel so the colour reproduction and viewing angle are very good and it is well within your budget at £383 +VAT.
I have the 2407WFP Ultrasharp.

Cracking monitor.

Really handy that it rotates to portrait too :)