Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Emoticons in Business Correspondence Appropriate?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

2. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Never in business correspondence.
    This forum & Facebook - yes.
    But then I'm a stuffy old f**t :)

3. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

I pop the odd :icon_smile: every now and then, I hope it comes across as friendly & approachable...

4. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

I do it too, like my post says, it just slips in there. I too hope it comes across as friendly and approachable.

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Giggity.

With clients I know I'll often use a smiley because we've probably had a laugh face to face so it's ok. On forums I do, in blog comments I try not to but sometimes I worry my reply could be read too cold or formal.

6. SWATTDesign

SWATTDesign Member

I think on forums it's sort of expected, but NEVER on formal business correspondence. I will occasionally let the odd one or two into a casual client email if I have a relaxed working relationship with them (ie we chat about what we did over the weekend and stuff).

7. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

:-(

That's all I have to say about that.

8. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Lol, :thumb:

9. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

10. SparkCreative

SparkCreative Member

I think the odd smiley is fine - sometimes it helps if you're being sarcastic and you don't think it's coming across just with words. But I wouldn't use one if I didn't know the person well. And NEVER EVER one of these: x