Affinity PUBLISHER Beta is HERE

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
So far - some pretty nice features, like adjusting shapes, especially with multipe points like start bursts.

I am able to import an ai file, and it becomes embeded, just double click it to to edit, change colours, text etc. - original remains untouched.
Which is nice.

Master pages are a bit flimsy - there's no "Base Master Page On" - but you can duplicate master pages to mimic settings on one - but can't rename.

Page Information on print ready pdfs are appearing at the top, in a print workflow they are best the bottom, as this is how proofing in a print house works, look at the bottom of all the sheets, being at the top is counter-intuitive, but Affinity have already said they can make it an option to be top or bottom.

They don't have a "slug" setting, vital for some workflows.

Overall, it has a nice feel to it - but I guess I'm still using it like InDesign. I need to figure out all the nuiances.

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I don't use Indesign so I doubt I'd use Publisher but I'm very much behind Serif in what they're doing.

I read you can download the beta for free too. :D

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
I'm likely doing to be using Publisher for digital docs, mainly knocking up things like brand guidelines. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I'm doing some brand guidelines at the moment so maybe I'll recreate them in Publisher when they're done.

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
It was pretty cool - was able to open a PDF directly in the app and make any edits. It was very slick in that sense. Not that I condone editing PDFs....

T

thefrecklepuny

Testing it myself. Works very smoothly with Affinity Designer and Photo files. Just as though you created them in Publisher itself. Opens PDF files very well also.