"99designs has a new logo (that it got in a meta crowdsourcing contest)"

well at least the winner didn't waste much time on the design, pick a font, type 99designs and job done lol

LOL! I've been reading about that myself. :D

I guess they couldn't do it any other way really.

555 'designers' *cough* were unpaid for their *cough* 'designs.'

The 'winner' was probably paid about enough for his pack lunch.

well at least the winner didn't waste much time on the design, pick a font, type 99designs and job done lol

Well you never know, it may have taken him days to go through several fonts, and then decide on which font to choose, what shade of grey, and don't forget that kerning to have 99 merge with each other. It is just genius!

Not quite, there was a custom type treatment applied which was handily pointed out by this illustration…

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 17.04.45.png

Source – http://99designs.co.uk/brand-launch

I'd actually be genuinely curious to see how much time and research went into the design. I'm sure we've all produced stuff that resembles "just a font" but actually had a good deal of thought put into it. The 'winner' (such an oxymoronic term) could have actually spent a great deal of time developing an identity. Of course the irony is 555 other designers could have also done the same, though without any compensation.

Even more ironic is the design could have actually been an hour's worth of work that is now having rationale and thinking thrown at it retrospectively because it's the winning entry. Check out some of the other entries on their brand launch page and you'll see many similar/identical ideas, just in different typefaces.

It's not a bad logo, partly due to its simplicity, but it's certainly nothing to get excited about.

still pretty sure I've seen a font the same though.... which considering the sheer amount of fonts out there these days is likely lol

Of course there was 'custom treatment' done, they can't exactly say it's just a font lol

They claim to have given a prize to all the finalist and pay the winner. I would love to know the specifics that they actually paid. It still winds me up all the designers the worked on this to not get anything in the end.

They claim to have given a prize to all the finalist and pay the winner. I would love to know the specifics that they actually paid. It still winds me up all the designers the worked on this to not get anything in the end.

If it helps, about 500 of the 556 people probably aren't designers. The winner is a self-taught designer... Whatever that means.

Seems like 99designs expected a designer backlash and were prepared for it?

2016%2F03%2F09%2F01%2F31%2F38%2F21bbd6c7-dc2a-483a-81af-4fe309d8e7c2%2Flogo-critique-guide-png.png

I don't mind the logo. Nothing amazing.
I just don't like what they do.
I hate what they do with a passion. The logo I have no feelings towards, it's not a bad logo but it's far from something that would inspire me.

Back