Your view on typography?

reggiemental

Hi all,

I'm no designer, (shouldn't really be here I suppose!!), but have been involved with pre-press for the last 18 years, so do know my way around artworking and dealing with client-supplied graphics.

To cover sickness/holidays etc. we often outsource design work, logos, brochures etc. and I wondered how you guys approach typography?

Do you have a 'set' of preferred fonts you tend to use on jobs when designing from scratch?

The reason I ask is, that one of the designers I use on a regular basis always seems to go for particular fonts, DIN, Modula Serif etc. Many of the background images she does in Photoshop tend to look very similar to what she's produced previously, which means it's very easy to spot her working 'style'. Even her logo designs can usually be spotted as her particular work. Don't get me wrong though, she always produces first class work.

So, do you have a 'bread & butter' set of fonts you rely on, or do you prefer to try something different with each job?

Also, does a tight deadline determine how you approach a job?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Interesting question and thread!

I've always had a set of typefaces/fonts that I like to use for certain tasks, be that large areas of copy, or fonts to work in association with a leading font. But with regards to logos I always try to use something new and unique from the rest of my portfolio.

I guess the reasoning for using certain sets of fonts for certain tasks is you know what works and what doesn't work from previous experience, this experience can then be an advantage in designing your clients work to make it look as good as you possibly can. After all your clients are not only paying you for your creative ideas but your valuable experience.

I've always been told that my design style is recognizable, although as you say I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm very cautious of my work looking the same, so always try and approach different projects with a different finishing style in mind, this can be difficult with short deadlines, but certainly doesn't mean I have a different approach for tight deadline jobs, it just makes this task a bit harder/more interesting!

Interested in hearing other designers responses to this one :)
Greg

Sounds like we have similar backgrounds fella, I have been in the pre-press world for 25 years after getting my initial training/interest via the newspaper world as a compositor......yes I did stick things on pages with hot wax.

Typography is a very personal thing to me after having my initial grounding in a newspaper environment, literal errors were not an option and retribution was swift if you consistently sent down dodgy galley copy.....but AS important was sticking to the page style and the publications bible....widows and orphans were corrected as swiftly as literals.

I still find it hard to drift away from anything that isn't Sans Serif and personally I blame the proliferation of faces like Arial with the introduction of the Macintosh on my pre press journey. Mind you I would have that over loading the typeface I needed on 10" floppy disk every time I needed to print out hi res versions of my non WYSIWYG machine galley copy layout on screen.......and you kids think its tough today hehehehehe :)

Thats a interesting one.

I tend to use Myriad Pro alot mainly becuase its got a really nice alround structure and lends itself well to illustration and logo work in much as its easy to development and alter.

I've got a bit of a fasination with typography especially hand written and script texts (like the kind you see on tattoos) but to be honest most jobs call for a really simple middle of the road approach to font types so I rarely get to use them outside of personal projects.

There's definately a need for mid-range fonts in the majority of our projects, but we like to add more creative typography to spice up designs when needed.

You'll find that some designers stick to fonts that work for them, but it's important they stick to (and even experiment) with fonts that are good for the overall brand. A good designer has their own style, but is able to adapt to each brand's requirements.

Obviously when guidelines are in place you shouldn't stray from the core type-style anyway.

I work at a print shop during the day and for me, it really depends on the customer and the importance of the job. If it is a simple banner with sponsors on it, then the type is not that important, to myself or the customer. It is only going to be used once and will most likely be thrown away. As long as it is a sans-serif highly readable font, in my own opinion.

Usually if it is something that is not large format, I tend to experiment more. For large format things, vehicle wraps, banners, or panel signs, I usually keep to a standard 10-20 fonts that I know are very readable at a distance and at a high rate of speed (for those that will be driving by).

For the smaller stuff, depending on the impression I get from the customer, I know how far my bounds are and I like to use a font that fits the job that I have not used before, or that I feel fits the job. People really love Calibri. And if i'm going through fonts with them, I just cannot get over people's love for Avant Garde.

Back