Work Experience...

Bryzface_

It all seems to revolve around who you know...not what you know..

Anyone else find that?

Or does anyone have any that they could offer me :D
I'm a graphics student in her second year of degree, running the Designers Society at Plymouth University and also a Student Ambassador!

Or if you'd be interested in doing a talk for the Designers Society, check out our website...

Designers Society

Talk to you soon!

Bryony.

It pretty much is, but it's about making a lot of effort to know these people. I got experience through working as a designer for our students' union for a year. I did loads for them there and it was all really quick jobs, like do this for me in 45 minutes, or I want to see a design by this time - etc etc.

I launched my website too and people randomly saw it! I had a client from London with a pizza franchise and he wanted me to do the majority of his design, I was very please.

Just get yourself in places ;)

I wouldn't say it's either to be honest.

The problem with a lot of students looking for work placements is that they're just plain lazy. I'm not suggesting you are, but it's just a fact. They send the first obligatory email, wait for a reply and if none arrives, that's it.

If you want a work placement somewhere you need to badger on at these people. Hit them with an email sandwich, (email, a phone call and a 2nd email). If you have no reply then, visit their office. Show them how bad you want a placement and why they should want you over everyone else.

Shame you are in Plymouth as we're always on the lookout for graphic designers for placements. I'd say what you know and and strength of your portfolio is the big factor. In our sector the problem we have is finding a creative designer who can also do a bit of HTML and CSS. The reason for this is for an average project the ratio of design hours to development hours is 1:4.

The problem is, very few design degrees actually take the time to teach HTML/CSS within the course. Any student who has this knowledge has done it of their own accord outside of uni.

The problem is, very few design degrees actually take the time to teach HTML/CSS within the course. Any student who has this knowledge has done it of their own accord outside of uni.

And those are the ones with a bit of initiative who we are interested in.

If you have no reply then, visit their office.

I recently attended a lecture about getting into the industry by Thoughtful, a design agency that's actually based in our university.

They surveyed a number of designers, studios and agencies, and if I recall, turning up unannounced was the least favourite method of initial contact. Often people haven't replied to emails or phone calls simply because they're incredibly busy, and you're just not a priority.

Turning up uninvited with your portfolio expecting to get seen by a designer is considered rude by most people, and almost guarantees you won't hear from them again.

I'll see if I can track the lecture/survey down online.

Back