WordStress!

TheNoone

Hi People,

I was wondering are there any good resources for Wordpress beginners?
I'm one of those people that prefers to open a box, ignore the instructions,
and try and figure it out myself.

I really don't know what it's all about, Or any alternatives?
I have a wix.com site temporarily and it really just doesn't cut it

Thanks in advance!

Hi People,

I was wondering are there any good resources for Wordpress beginners?
I'm one of those people that prefers to open a box, ignore the instructions,
and try and figure it out myself.

I really don't know what it's all about, Or any alternatives?
I have a wix.com site temporarily and it really just doesn't cut it

Thanks in advance!

Whether Wordpress is the best tool for you or not depends on a few factors; what is your website for? How much (x)HTML/CSS do you know/are you comfortable with? How much updating will you be doing and how often? Do you want to blog etc? If you can come up with a list of requirements then we can help you choose a platform. Then at least you know you are spending time learning the right thing :)

I don't have any experience with Wordpress but I landed myself a web developer job a year ago and I've learnt a lot by using Joomla! I'd highly recommend Joomla as I didn't know a whole lot about anything to do with websites beforehand. I'm still no expert but I do know the basics at least and can do some good work too!

If your looking to build an ecommerce website then again, Joomla seems like the right way to go with a plugin called "Virtuemart".

Check it all out on Google, it's free and easy to use :icon_smile:

The best way I've found of learning Wordpress is to install xampp on my machine and make a local copy of my web server there where I can change code, adjust themes and try new stuff without worrying about messing up a live version of my site.

apache friends - xampp

I use Google Chrome which is great for editing CSS as you can Right click and choose 'Inspect Element' on anything on the page and it will allow you to adjust the CSS values in your browser only so you can see how something will look before you edit the CSS file.

As for learning the wordpress source, your best bet is probably the Wordpress codex as well as reading up on HTML/CSS if you're not comfortable with it already. Personally I tend to just google a question when I need to know how to do something.

What do you want to know about WP? I have been using WP for two years so If you need any help feel free to ask.

I've taught myself Wordpress over the last year or so. I find the wordpress site itself to be the best source of help. And if not, just google your question and the answer's out there somewhere. Basically, upload a template and play with the stylesheet css (back it up first). Change one thing at a time and see what happens. If the template's well written, you should be able to pick out the bit you want to change. Then add widgets and plugins to make the blog work how you want it.

Back