Which of these two briefs would you choose to take on

• Brief 1: Local farm shop design

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Brief 2: Childrens cereal design

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHDesign

I have been recently considering ethics within modern design and would like to ask which of these two hypothetical briefs you would choose to take on.

Brief 1:
Design for a local farm shop that supplies affordable, sustainable, locally sourced, ethical food. Design the brand identity to primarily promote its responsible attitude and ethical behavior.
Fee: up to £1000

Brief 2:
Design a fun cereal package aimed at young children for a large supermarket chain whose cereal contents you know are low in nutritional value and high in sugar. Design the brand identity to appeal directly to children aged 4-10 years old and promote a fun and happy breakfast time.
Fee: £2000-£3000

a fun cereal package aimed at young children for a large supermarket chain whose cereal contents you know are low in nutritional value and high in sugar.

Interestingly, way back when Kellogs started offloading the corn surplus in the US, via boxed cereals, the nutritional value of the packet did actually exceed that of its contents.

I would choose the farm shop but the reason is because its more "me" its something that appeals to me and is something I'd like to work on. At the end of the day a project that pays 1k but takes me half the time to do because I'm flowing with ideas is worth more to me. Esp if I think its going to make a portfolio piece to be proud of. I think the farm shop might offer more creative control, don't know why but thats what I imagine.

I'd also opt for the farm because I'd imagine I'd have more creative freedom. If I was even in a position to be offered the second job, I'd like to say that I'd turn it down on moral grounds, but that would depend on my own financial situation at the time. Saying that though, I would imagine most cereals aimed at children have tasty added extras that aren't entirely beneficial to their health. Ultimately I think it should be up to the parents to check what their children are eating. My refusal of the job wouldn't make any difference in the long run, as there'd be another designer in the queue behind me who would be willing to take the job.

With my business head on, the cereal's clearly the better of the two opportunities - not just because it offers the largest fee but because of the doors that it would potentially open. I reckon it would also be the quickest and easiest of the two to move forward on account of the invariably conservative approach to own-brand kids' food packaging (photo of product + cartoon animal in baseball cap, etc.). Ethically speaking, I think Paul pretty much covers it but I don't think that the nutritional pros and cons of a breakfast cereal are at a level that would trouble my conscience too much.

In short, everyone's got to eat and one of the reason's I'd take the better paid job with the bigger organisation would be so that I could afford to give my kids something better than sugar-coated cardboard at breakfast time.

I'd do both, but if I had to choose one I'd go for the cereal brief. Why? Because I am not in a position to turn down a job like that, not only because it is a lot more money but it is the easier brief in my opinion and would take less time to churn out ideas. It's not my job to take into consideration of the nutritional value of a product, and seeing as it is for children, it is the full responsibility of the parents as to what they choose to feed their children. Look at how much sugar used to be in Kellogg's Frosties, that didn't stop parents buying it for their kids, even though any idiot would of known it was full of sugar.

Also with all this horse meat going around you just can't trust these 'local farm shops' lol. So in a way there is just as much 'ethical' issues to consider if choosing the farm brief.

Back