Which Degree Suits Me?

CHdeciding

I have reach a fork-in-the-road point in my life. Back story: I currently have a bachelors in Marketing , but I have a passion for Graphic Design. I decided to teach myself the basics and software through Lynda.com, so now I'm at the point where I would like to learn the craft thru another bachelors degree (but this time in Graphic Design). However, my advisor suggested that I take advantage of my current bachelors degree and switch to a Masters in Media Design. I was told that this program will give me an in-depth look at design and the role it plays in bridging the gap between the creative studio and the boardroom. The program will also teach the concepts that drive successful design campaigns. I have been approved for the program, but my problem is that I feel that I'm missing out on the fundementals of Graphic Design.

So my question, I guess, is should I take the Masters or Bachelors? Which of the two programs would benefit me the most to land a job?

I'd express your concerns to your advisor/tutor. You typically learn the fundamentals of design in your first 6 months and the rest of the time is typically spent honing those skills and putting them into practice. You may find going back and doing a BA for 3 years to be a chore, especially since I would suspect marketing covers a lot of what a design course would cover in later terms, specifically answering a brief based on research.

I loved my time at uni but honestly couldn't wait to get out and start working full-time by my 3rd year. I was already working freelance in my 2nd year and learning much more about the industry than I was at uni, so it felt a but like my course was actually a little behind me. You may feel the same way by the end of your time, and it's a huge financial commitment to boot.

Yeah you'll totally pick up a lot of it as you go along. The way the world works these days, its not too difficult to pick up tips and tricks in your spare time and then its just practice.

The tools are just there to help you get the ideas from within your noggin out into the world.
I did a BA in Graphic Design, went away and came back to do my MA in Design Enterprise. A lot of the courses bridge a lot of subjects and especially with higher education let you interpret the course as you see fit. As long as you hit all the markers along the way your good to go :)

I would go up and not sideways given the choice, for those employers that look at CVs, a lot just look at the level of the qualification and not much else.

Back