Which colour do you think works best for my logo?

Which Colour Black or Royal Blue?

• Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NicMac4

Hi, I've created a logo for a new classic sailing business starting in Edinburgh. The boat is called Bucephalus, named after Alexander the Greats black stallion horse. I need help in deciding whether to keep the logo entirely black like the horse and also like a knight chess piece or a royal blue like the Scottish flag and also a traditional nautical colour? I am creating PVC banners for the sides of the boat and a flag for the mast. There are hints of blue around the boat and think that over all blue will work better with the look of the boat but just need some more opinions please to be certain. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.46.55.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.46.55.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.47.54.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.47.54.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 10.00.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 10.00.44.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 20.03.27.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 20.03.27.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.08.06.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.08.06.png
    742.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.08.51.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 17.08.51.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.53.41.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.53.41.png
    812.6 KB · Views: 4
Those thin lines that taper into nothing will be hell in vinyl. You'll probably need to widen them for the vinyl versions.
It will also be very difficult in litho/digital print for business cards - or even embroidering.

No harm having the logo in both blue and black - you'll probably need a black version for invoices etc. (or old school faxing if that's still a thing).

Typically - you send a black version for Vinyl and then reference the pantone colour you want it to be - or you can send the blue version and they'll match it. Depends on who is doing it - each operate differently.

I wouldn't have thought it was a knight chess piece - but rather a seahorse.

PS: if they are going to use the logo on a website it needs to be without the words and still work when 40px high or less. Which may mean some of the fine detail gets lost.

PS: if they are going to use the logo on a website it needs to be without the words and still work when 40px high or less. Which may mean some of the fine detail gets lost.

You're thinking of the FavIcon - litterally puttin the horse before the cart!
Design the logo the way it's needed. Worry about finicky details later.
For example, they could use the horse head in the FavIcon.

It just about works as a favicon I've tried it!

Hi, I've created a logo for a new classic sailing business starting in Edinburgh. The boat is called Bucephalus, named after Alexander the Greats black stallion horse. I need help in deciding whether to keep the logo entirely black like the horse and also like a knight chess piece or a royal blue like the Scottish flag and also a traditional nautical colour? I am creating PVC banners for the sides of the boat and a flag for the mast. There are hints of blue around the boat and think that over all blue will work better with the look of the boat but just need some more opinions please to be certain. Thanks.
Hi Nick, I found you again!:LOL:If I'm not wrong, You're same Nick whom I answered on some other forum ;)Good luck buddy!

No, I was thinking about the logo on a mobile phone. They tend to be a mini version of the main logo.

No, I was thinking about the logo on a mobile phone. They tend to be a mini version of the main logo.

Again - horse before cart - a lot of logos are modified for screen use.

Thinking about printing and finishing is the first port of call in logos. No point in having an amazing screen/web version of a logo that has no hope of being replicated in print.

I agree. What we don't know here is the planned usage of the logo. If it's to go on a 12ft hoarding outside the boatyard then is can work. If it's going to be used on poloshirts maybe not.

This is why when I get a logo designed I make sure I get the full set so I can see how it works in different media.

As a logo on the website it doesn't really work: http://edinburghclassicsailing.com/

Shall I make the lines wider and not tapered then for it to work smaller scale?

You'd need to run it by whoever is doing it - usually they take the artwork and adjust where needed or advise on what is needed.
You can ask them to check for you.
It was just a FYI.

Hi NicMac4,
Putting your logo both in black and blue with strong references is worth the process. Here, we only know your ideas not the one who ordered. Must keep his/her opinions in view before finalizing the logo color. You can share both of these versions to your client and focus what he wants.
As it is a sailing business, in my view blue colored logo exactly matches with the sailing atmosphere.

Back