Where to begin freelance ?

maithu

i have asked a few people now these questions and got very different and very contradicting answers, i haven't yet asked a freelance designer this...

...if i want to be a freelance designer, who do i need to tell, what do i need to do to register? i have a name i want to design under, do i need to trademark this to use it? can i use my own accounts or do i need a separate account for everything that goes in or out for work?

As you are not based in the UK (based on your IP address) we can't really answer your questions accurately so would advise seeking local advise in regards to freelance work.

In the UK at least you do need to register as self employed and report your earnings so you can be taxed. As to the rest it's basically personal preference although a business account is recommended by most of us.

who do i need to tell, what do i need to do to register? i have a name i want to design under, do i need to trademark this to use it? can i use my own accounts or do i need a separate account for everything that goes in or out for work?
HMRC, yes, no, separate account

Back