When looking for jobs..

Does anyone else get freaked out by the levels expected? Like: "you must be an experienced fashion/graphics/packaging/POS/ CAD /web designer (and programmer) with a list of blue chip clients as long as your arm and we'll pay you a whole 3p a year...if you have more talent than God."

I wonder, is it the people who aren't fazed by this sort of description that succeed? I get so freaked out I'm scared to apply but what's the worst that can happen? They say no. Can't seem to take my own advice though.
Any thoughts? :icon_scared:

I noticed that too. I guess the job descriptions from potential employers are usually compiled by the director's PA, who only has to worry about looking good with that pencil in her mouth and her thoughtful but at the same time naughty look in her eyes....

As somebody who studied computing for a degree, I can honestly say it's never aided me in a graphical environment. Even when using flash and dreamweaver, C++ and java are about as much use as a jelly toothbrush to me.
I think it's a case of people wanting more for less in the current state of affairs, so they advertise for all of these things. That's not to say that it won't give you an advantage, but I strongly feel that your graphics speak for themself, and if you can't get employed with a good design portfolio, then they're not the right sort of company anyway, in my view.

What is the exact title of the job position your looking for?

'Graphic Designer'. There's one advertised local to me at the moment which has these sorts of requirements. It's funny, Matalan are advertising positions at the moment, calling them 'graphic design' and in the description it's actually a fashion designer's position, but I think they are calling it this as they expect the same from them - to do fashion design, plus everything else like the print work and whatnot.

Thanks everyone for your input it's made me feel much better!:icon_smile:

IMHO My personal bugbear is the pidgeonholing that happens in the UK design market - you have to be really careful when you start out and make sure that you step into an area of graphic design that you are happy to stay in - crossing the lines is apparently taboo.

A 'graphic designer' as a general term splits into so many areas, if you get stuck in a specific field of graphic design, then that is where you are likely to stay until you die - unless you are really lucky. For example, a design agency won't look twice at you if you have a history of working in any other design environment (unless you really knock their creative socks off). If you want to be an agency designer, then you need to put your foot down, walk over the competition and become one from the outset.

If you get stuck working for Matalan you will find yourself in a rut where only similar organisations will take you on, based on your past experience. Become a typesetter or Mac-operator, then kiss your chances of ever doing any exciting design work of your own goodbye.

Magazine design (where I am stuck) is even further pidgeon-holed into categories, work on one type of publication and then you highly likely to end up working on similar ones for the rest of your life - just because I have never worked on a glossy title before, they wouldn't even look twice at me - even if I have over 10 years of experience in the industry and have designed shelf publications before. My biggest career suicide was my last job before redundancy 4 years ago as a puzzle magazine designer - apparently that is all I am good for now (was even called a 'Puzzle Queen' at an interview once...). I have been lucky though with freelance franchise magazines, but I actually can't walk into a job because I pidgeon-holed myself very badly.

Oooops, will get off my soapbox now. Please note that the above are my personal observations... and I would happily like to be proved wrong if other people have had better experiences out there ;)

Last edited:
Now I'm depressed again. :icon_crying:

Don't give up Artgem ;)

One of the best jobs I have ever had (satisfaction-wise, loved every minute of it) was for a charity organisation, they paid peanuts, so I couldn't afford to stay there for more than a couple of years - I walked in with a weak portfolio to get the job and I walked away with a very full portfolio of across the range printed stuff - books, flyers, leaflets, logos, manuals, magazines. posters etc. There are opportunities out there that will help you progress in the right direction if you keep an eye open for them.

:icon_thumbup:

Matabo you are so right!

Im a print based designer and have always been a in-house working on my own or in a marketing team, I would love to work for a agency but can i get an interview...can i hell as like!

Thing is now with the "economic down turn" (posh words for the banks messing up)
im applying for jobs in the lower £18k bracket only to find that some hot shot creative director whos was laid off from their £40k a year job has got it, and you know they are only using the position as a steping stone till the market picks up!

Also for £14k a year in my area you are expected to do everything, web, print, html, java, blah blah blah. thing is i could earn £20k working in McDonalds! im starting wonder weather all my years at uni and working were worth it!

Wow that's just what I've been thinking Artgem1984. I can't believe the amount
of requirements listed under almost every single job vacancy usually with a title
on the lines of "Junior Designer". I find this especially surprising as I've been
told by several designers that they would always prefer someone who specializes
in some part of design rather than being a "jack of all design elements". The only thing
I can assume is that they are not the people who ever post design job vacancies.

Back