Whats new in graphic design?

What would you guys say is new in graphic design? Im a final year student and want to think of things to do this year to include in my portfolio that design studios would want to see, making me stand out.

Nothing is new. Everything has been done before.

What's new an current is irrelevant in my opinion. Be aware of it, but make each piece of work individual, and pertinent to the subject matter. Using web 2.0 glass balls on a website for an antiques company would be ridiculous, but I'm sure someone out there's done it.

Don't have a style, have infinite styles and choose the right one for each piece of work. Then you'll stand out from all the sheep using the latest photoshop tutorials on the web.

Nothing is new. Everything has been done before.

What's new an current is irrelevant in my opinion. .

I totally agree - you don't want to be doing "what is new" - you want to be further ahead than that, you want to be the new thing. That said, nothing is new. Oh the annoyance hehe! My advice for your third year at uni is to push your work further than you ever have before and be as creative as possible - you will be very unlikely to get the chance again.

Today's cutting edge is tomorrow's old hat; put the latest design trend (and, as has been said, it's usually tech-driven) in front of a big enough audience and before you know where you are everyone's at it.

Old and new? Good and bad is the only distinction that matters.

Back