what software do you use.....

I've been using Sketch for about a year as an alternative to Photoshop for web and interface work. Photoshop is nice for pixel-perfect work but using it for interface design is really a bit of a hack, and I could never seem to get used to Fireworks. Sketch is kind of a mash-up of all three, but it's specifically intended for screen-based design work. It's not quite 100% there yet and is still lacking in a few places, but it's served me well for a little while now, and can export your layer styles as pure CSS!

I do 90% of my work in CorelDraw X4. I will be upgrading to X7 in the new year. I love CorelDraw I very rarely use illustrator as I loath it but that is probably because I have been using Draw everyday for over a decade so it as easy to use as a pencil and I don't really have to think when I am using it.

Paul

You can read all about that freehand debacle on the internet. There's plenty of reading about this case and adobe trying to be a monopoly or at least being accused.

Sounds a bit heavy going for a Friday night.
Think I'll wait for the film to come out. ;)

I do 90% of my work in CorelDraw X4. I will be upgrading to X7 in the new year. I love CorelDraw I very rarely use illustrator as I loath it but that is probably because I have been using Draw everyday for over a decade so it as easy to use as a pencil and I don't really have to think when I am using it.

Paul

I used to feel like that with Freehand although what you could make on screen didn't always export well, such as some of the effects.
I've been using AI for years now and although I really love what you can make with it, I don't find the process that intuitive or enjoyable.

A bit like drawing with a nice pencil that has a bit of shit on it.

There's some excellent software out there.

Adobe isn't the be all and end all.

Xara is another I tried that was very good.

Xara is something I really need to spend some time with because it will work on linux and is very fast and it is very good for producing the photo realistic vectors I like to do. The problem always comes down to my speed in the end. I am super fast in CorelDraw and every time I try using another program I always end up getting frustrated and going back to what I know. I remember trying to learn Flash years ago. i would do all the artwork in CorelDraw and import it into flash. It is just what you are used to. Corel used to have a flash style application built into older versions. I think it was called Coral Rave.

I am going to download Xara and have a play over Christmas

Paul

I can really recommend Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. New apps, fast and a really responsive development team. They are version one so could be missing a few features some may need but I love the speed and do class them as professional apps that can take on Adobe almost already! I no longer use Photoshop or Illustrator. https://affinity.serif.com/

I can really recommend Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. New apps, fast and a really responsive development team. They are version one so could be missing a few features some may need but I love the speed and do class them as professional apps that can take on Adobe almost already! I no longer use Photoshop or Illustrator. https://affinity.serif.com/

I was looking at this a while back, AF Designer really wet my appetite since it seemed to do everything I wished Illustrator could do properly. The CC versions are certainly a lot better than previous versions to an extent, but I'm still not 100% happy with them, mainly due to instability (that's likely being caused by Mac OS to be honest).

Back