'What is the future of analogue design in an expanding digital world'

pedrofoley

Hello brother/sister designer folk

'What is the future of analogue design in an expanding digital world'
I'm a graphic designer/creative with 18 years studio experience, I'm taking a year out partly to give myself a creative kick up the arse (UK), ass (US) and partly because of recession to do a Master's Degree in Creative Technology at the University of Salford.
I'm writing a paper on the topic of 'What is the future of analogue design in an expanding digital world'. I use the term 'analogue' to describe two dimensional print production processes.

This subject as been greatly debated for the last five years in all areas of communication/publishing/advertising and general graphic design. As a design professional myself, who still works in and loves print while studying emerging creative digital technologies, I want to ask questions and explore the areas of; social user interaction of printed materials juxtaposed with digital media equivalent, the creative view point - use of typography, imagery, impact and effect on the audience or end end user, ecological and economic factors that will effect how we consume information.

Example. If in five/ten years time there is a great reduction in printed matter due to ecological and economic reasons, would that mean major printing press manufacturers like Heidleberg, Kamora etc. would halt or reduce research and development in new print technology that leads to a scale down of production of printing presses etc. Same with ink and paper production.

I'm not an harbinger of doom for the print industry, I'm simply looking into the reality that as an information hungry society, where technology is playing a leading role in how we access this information in a social and economic context, is there a role for traditional forms of media and the time-frames that we can honestly predict (Minority Report scenarios and the Hollywood sense of what is feasible to be discussed in another topic).

I know this is a huge and subjective topic of discussion so if anyone has any thoughts, theories or snippets of advice please feel free. If anyone's thoughts and comments are used in my piece with your permission I will credit in, an acknowledgment and in the bibliography, I'll also will email you the final written paper in pdf.

Cheers
Pete

Desktop computers have yet to bring about the much heralded paperless office and digital design is yet to have the same projected impact on print. Look around you.

I think the way forward in print is going to be in digital print. The big manufacturers are all producing DI presses and high-end digital printers. Short-run, personalised information/images will become the order of the day and I suspect that the feel of paper, texture and quality will once again become important. If they can work out how to die-cut/foil block more cheaply that will also play a part. Print will land on peoples desks or doormats and will have to engage them quickly. Already there is a growing demand for full colour print on a matt cartridge type paper to differentiate from the ubiquitous 150gsm gloss art. I have clients asking about embossing/foil blocking to make them that bit different to the next business.

People at the moment still prefer paper for reading and it is still preferable to target people with a printed leaflet/brochure rather than a phone call (most annoying) or an email (I and many others delete emails from unknown sources) - a piece of paper can be recycled!

As you say a huge subject. . . a few thoughts only here.

...would that mean major printing press manufacturers like Heidleberg, Kamora etc. would halt or reduce research and development in new print technology that leads to a scale down of production of printing presses etc. Same with ink and paper production.
Aren't you confusing analogue vs digital with paper vs dunno, let's say 'screen'? The world is shifting from paper to electronic reproduction, of course, that isn't the same issue. You say you "use the term 'analogue' to describe two dimensional print production processes," but most print-production processes have been essentially digital for years, now - photoliths are largely a thing of the past, and so on. Does that affect the design process? Not so I've noticed. Design is the input, the output is at the other end, the form in which the consumer receives whatever, so it's the output you're talking about when you're considering printing presses, etc. That's what I'd have thought, anyway, but it's an interesting topic, whatever.

Back