What is my Job Title?

Nathan C

Hi,

Just a quick one to see what everyone thinks.

My job title is currently a Junior Graphic Designer and I have been for the past few years.

Over the last 10 months or so I have been learning how to code and I have now took on the responsibilities of the Front-end Web Developer after him and the lead designer departed.

What would my new job title be?

I take on the tasks of a graphic designer (print, branding, web graphics, web design) but also take on the tasks of a Front-end Web Developer (building websites, updating websites, general support, maintenance).

Cheers!

Technically you're doing two jobs since you're covering the exit of a developer and lead designer, so I'd expect a pay rise for starters. I'd also imagine you're no longer classed as a junior designer if you're been doing that role for a few years. After 2 years at most I'd expect the 'junior' to be dropped in favour of just 'designer'.

Don't give employers an easy route and let them lump the two fields into one. Design is not development and vice versa, they are two sides of the same coin but they should be treated as two separate jobs with very different responsibilities because they are. Stick to one role that you prefer and have that as your title.

But, without a senior there to guide you, you shouldn't be a junior dev at all. A junior should have more experienced colleagues around to train them up. If you move into a junior dev role without a senior there also, you're basically letting the company pay you a lower wage without actually getting anything out of it yourself. I'd personally only take an offical development related title if you had a more experienced developer there. Believe me, you don't want your employer to be requesting DevOps tasks from you when you're only experience is front-end code.

Be very careful of taking on a role that comes with more than you can chew. If your employer requires a full stack dev then they should hire one rather than expecting you to struggle your way through it.

Did you get a pay rise?

If not you're still the junior designer, just being used to do higher paid jobs on the cheap...

You don’t need to position yourself in the industry. Anyone viewing your work or communicating with you will quickly ascertain your true level of experience.

You don’t need to position yourself in the industry. Anyone viewing your work or communicating with you will quickly ascertain your true level of experience.
That's not really what this post is about. Job titles dictate things like salary and work responsibilities, that's why it's written into your employment contract when you start a job. He's not asking about simply positioning himself in the industry, he's asking about whether or not his employer is paying him accordingly for the task he's completing at work.

Back