What are your thoughts on a .digital domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginomay89

Hi.. just wanted some honest opinions please. I'm in the middle of setting up an online portfolio to showcase my web design / development work.

For my brand and website name, I want to use my initials followed by the word 'digital' (lets just say ABC DIGITAL for example) that way I thought it is using my name, and also a key word to describe the type of service I offer.

My question is, should I use www.abcdigital.co.uk or www.abc.digital

I understand co.uk and .com the usual domains people go for, but I also understand the shorter the domain the better, and maybe .digital could be a clever maketing/branding tactic?

I just don't want to put people off if they've never heard of .digital before, and it appear tacky or something.

abc.co.uk

Don't have the word digital anywhere in the domain name. It will put people off in the same way using the word 'solutions' is just yuk.

I would prefer just my initials .co.uk as you suggest but only problem is (no suprise) that domain isn't available.
Really.. I wouldn't have thought having the word digital in the domain would so bad. Just as people have 'abcdesign' or 'abccreative' or 'abcmedia' etc.

And all three of those are equally as bad. As soon as you tie down what you do in the domain name it limits anything you do in the future

But if you go get ginomay.co.uk it means you can do whatever you want as it's a generic name that doesn't tie you down to one particular service.

Ask 10 different people what 'digital' means and you will get 10 different answers.

I always recommend clients choose a domain that has a .co.uk and a .com available and to get those alongside a newer TLDs such as .digital.

If you're operating as 'abcdigital' many people will assume that abcdigital.co.uk is your domain, so it makes sense to own it to prevent confusion. I recall someone on another forum almost losing a client after said client had used an incorrect domain in an email about some work. The email went to a different company with a similar domain who attempted to quote and poach this client.

It might also surprise you how many don't understand that there are TLDs besides .co.uk, so it's safe to assume you'll get people driving to access your site by typing abc.digital.co.uk

Just keep it simple and generic if possible. 'Digital' is a bit of a buzzword at the moment, used by many people who don't really understand what it even refers to, so I'd be reluctant to incorporate it into a domain or business name, since it's quickly becoming a dated term.

Personally, as I'm UK based I go .co.uk, I've toyed with .uk but seen no reason for it other than to protect my domain name. I personally wouldn't do anything other than the 'country' domains although .design is tempting apart from the fact it might be confuse some people as Paul says above.

I think the only reasons to get one of those is in addition to a .com or .co.uk or if the .com/.co.uk was already taken and in that event it would probably confuse people if they were trying to search you out.

At some point, the choice depends upon the type and scale of your business. If you are trading in the UK, generally, you will get higher conversions with a .co.uk extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back