Website pricing

Hi guys

I mainly do graphic design like flyers, posters, etc...and this local community has asked me if I can do a new website for them. And have asked me how much I should charge, they didn't mention a budget and I find it difficult to ask them to say their budget.

I've only done a couple of websites for family so this is the first time I will be doing a website paid.

Their current website they have is set up via Google Sites and consists of 6 pages (including the home page) which mainly have a bit of text in each with a few images. Looks very basic.

But what I would do is set up the address/hosting, and use the information from their old site and make the site completely from Wordpress using a theme. I reckon I could do it 1-2 days tops.

Can I get some help on this please?

I'd do it on a day rate of 2 days (whatever you think is fair price per day)

Then I'd put a price on a design per page - so 6 pages.

My quote would include support for 12 months and any support after this would come at a day rate.

But it's important to ask them what their budget is for the site and then be realistic about what you are willing to work for.

Don't forget, the promise of allowing it on your portfolio is already your right, it's not payment, and the promise that it's a great learning curve for you is not payment either.

They pay for you work per day. Nothing else.

Just ask them what the budget is. Just say "what's the budget for this?"

It's a standard business question. It's one of the first things I ask clients because if the budget is too low, it needs addressing before anyone's time is waste. It also lets me know how complex the site design/build will be. If they don't have one, that's when you start to give them an idea of your costs. If they then say "that's too much", you can either work out a cheaper solution that suits you both, or you walk away and let them find someone cheaper.

Hi Wavy, I have worked with local communities particularly website design and not all communities have big budgets unless they have funding specifically for a website refresh.

Like hankscorpio and Paul Murray mentioned, kindly ask them if they have a budget in mind.

However if they ask YOU first, you could say something like I am able to work to your budget but this also depends on the complexity and size of your website.

If you initially state a high price, they will go else where!

--

If you manage to convince the client that a WordPress theme will keep costs down (no developer required) and is suitable for them (outline advantages), then you could offer a competitive deal.

If agreed, change the hosting provider.

I would also mention within a week deadline to complete the project, this allows you enough time to fix any unexpected hiccups during the process.

However if they ask YOU first, you could say something like I am able to work to your budget but this also depends on the complexity and size of your website.

If you initially state a high price, they will go else where!

This is true, and good advice. Pricing a project is often a form of negotiation. As I mentioned previously, if the budget is a little low, you offer to cut corners or try and persuade them to up the budget a little until both parties are happy. You can't really offer a fixed price for design because all projects are different. You can use previous examples as guidelines, but ultimately you'll be trying to work within the clients budget. If we turned away everyone who didn't have that ideal budget then we'd never make any money!

Ideally you'll want to work on a rolling price, so charging by the day (less scary to clients than by the hour) is a good way to go. Suggest a timescale and price based on this, then agree what you will do in that timeframe. Explain that additions/changes that push you over that time will incur additional hourly charges before the project starts, and if they agree get it written up and signed.

Explain that additions/changes that push you over that time will incur additional hourly charges before the project starts, and if they agree get it written up and signed.

A client contract / client terms is essential where you explain how you work and the project specification - this makes the client aware on what to expect and what not to do.

--

You may find these links useful:

19 Questions to Ask Before Creating a Website

How to work with a client who knows NOTHING about websites

Back