Website/Portfolio Feedback

Hi all, so after over 5 years working in-house in the gift industry I've decided to spread my wings and go full time on the freelance front! Exciting? Yes! Nerve-wracking? Certainly!

Anyway, I've been freelancing on the side for around 4 years and have built up my portfolio and client base steadily. I'm just finalising the last few bits and bobs before I go full time on the 1st August.
Can you take a look at my site here: Fries With That | Freelance Designer | Graphic & Logo Design and let me know your thoughts or anything you think I may have missed, all feedback appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

I haven't had a chance to look through your portfolio yet. The first thing I'd say though is the speed of that slider is far too fast. I can't even get to the end of it without it changing. Haha.

There seems to be a problem with it. The moment I posted on here it seems to have slowed to almost a halt!? Weird. But to be honest I need to move my hosting elsewhere. 123-reg are useless from my experience!

first view your homepage slider didn't even load up?

second attempt gave up waiting?

Love the church logo you got published from your portfolio!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the site speed has always been an issue, personally I think half the problem is with the hosting so will be moving it shortly - like the look of VidaHost and the fact they handle the entire transfer - this could come in handy!

No idea why the speed is causing so many problems, so frustrating. Can't seem to find the cause of it either! Damn...

Just done a page speed test on your home page and it seems like the problem is the hosting and not the website. Some of the timings between the initial calls to the server and the items being downloaded is far too long so I'd perhaps change hosts. 123 Reg are cheap for a reason :icon_biggrin:

too right, I thought as much, there's a variation on speed depending on the time of the day, sometimes it's perfect whilst other times is so unreliable. Any other recommendations apart from the one mentioned above? Preferably with Wordpress focus to ensure optimum speed? How do I go about moving hosting when I've still got around 6 months to go? Will I lose the money?

Thanks

Hi Daniel,

If you're going to use VidaHost, I can get you a coupon that gets you 10% off your hosting too?

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for that. Looking into cancelling my current hosting at the moment. Not sure if I'll get a refund on the remaining six months though so need to find that out before I go swapping over my hosting. I've heard 123-reg are notoriously poor at releasing the hosting too? Not ideal!

Thanks

No bother. Just drop me a PM, tweet, email or whatever if you do end up needing it. I've used Vidahost to transfer a domain from a client before. One went smoothly (a .co.uk) but the company just wouldn't release the .com and it still hasn't been transferred. nightmare.

dunno if u have changed host yet but it loaded quite alrite for me, i agree the slider is a bit fast, other thing i would say is there is alot of white maybe make the footer a diff colour to break the page up.

the orange is way to bright i nearly went blind lol maybe make the orange a bit darker and the white text on the orange is hurting my eyes.

i like the pop ups over the images on the homepage tho :)

also maybe break the orange from the slider so there is a gap

Think it looks smart, though on the front page with the way it fits the yellow section at first just looks like a solid footer, so you might not always scroll down to see what else is down there. Perhaps the white area for the header could be a bit shorter, but otherwise I think it's really good - I love the way the portfolio is and how the thumbnails rearrange themselves when you filter through the categories.

I really like it. My only thing with it is that when I go to click the thumbnails on the portfolio, it's rather annoying having to click that little plus symbol rather than just the thumbnail itself.

Thanks as always guys, I'm planning on adding a bit more to the white background when I get a chance. I hadn't actually noticed the portfolio issue so will need to look into that, thanks for pointing it out!
Are the web fonts displaying for you guys? Having issues with it when viewed on PC?

Back