Website coding and programming - male dominated?

linziloop

Hi guys, just curious as to what you think really. This week I am on a course to begin learning HTML and CSS. At the place I am doing the course there is also an InDesign course running. The morning everyone arrived there was a 50/50 ish mix of girls and boys. Then we were called into our rooms depending on what course we were on. All the girls bar me were on the InDesign course, all the boys bar one were on the HTML course. It got me thinking, is website coding and programming a very male dominate vocation?! Or is this just pure fluke that the split ended up like that and I'm looking too much into it?!

Definitely male dominated, I don't think I have ever spoken to a woman with regards to this in 12 years...and believe me I have spoken to loads of web developers.

Definitely male dominated, I don't think I have ever spoken to a woman with regards to this in 12 years...and believe me I have spoken to loads of web developers.

Lol, I'm sure katedesign might have a word or two to say about that :icon_wink:

Ha! I could be male...

But, Linziloop, I do agree, most web developers do appear to be male...probably as are most mathematicians and physicists. Are they (men) meant to have more logical minds? Lots of women call themselves web designers.

How was/is the course? Are you enjoying it?

Very interesting guys! It does seem to be very male dominated indeed, but do you know what, I absolutely LOVED the course, it's got me really excited to start coding away, I love working logically, so I'm finding it really suits the way I like to work. It all makes so much sense to me :D

Boss Hog - the silence of women as web developers in your life has been broken! (At least in the cyber world anyway hehe!)

The thrill of a page suddenly 'leaping' into life when you realise that you've missed off a </div> or something is wonderful! Go for it! More girls doing coding would be great!

Haha, yep! Had that happen in one point on the course (For a second I thought I'd completely messed up my code, like TOTALLY screwed it to the point it would take ages to fix, only to discover I had simply missed a semi colon on some CSS, PHEW!)

Haha, yep! Had that happen in one point on the course (For a second I thought I'd completely messed up my code, like TOTALLY screwed it to the point it would take ages to fix, only to discover I had simply missed a semi colon on some CSS, PHEW!)

They're usually the ones that take hours to realise, too!

I started my first coding project last night - started coding up the design for my Linziloop Handmade business website. It's going REALLY well, so I shall be sure to post it up for critique as soon as it gets to a more 'finished' state! Exciting!

Look forward to it!

And the beauty of being able to do it yourself means that you can go and 'fiddle' and try things...

Yeah there are more guys who code than girls - but don't be put off as you wont be the only developer chick! Where I work we use freelancer developers occasionally and believe it or not some of them are girls...

1 of my friends is a girl, ok shes from poland but lives in liverpool and i must say she is 1 of the best php developers ive ever met.
i actually find more women are graphic designers than web designers, but the women who are web designers are actually really good. and its cool talking "geek talk with them" lol :D

Back