Web help.

ARRIVALS

Hi guys,

I have a domain and webspace with one.com, and want to upload an SWF file I've created, to see it online.

I'm clueless with regards to the web, so how do I go about doing it. I've tried looking online and can't get anywhere.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers.

Yep, I've got those FTP details and already downloaded FileZilla. Once I've connected, I'm stuck. I've tried File>Import, but it won't let me select my SWF file. Am I in the right place?

So, you have your site set up with local and remote folders. Once you are there you should be able to right click on the file you want to upload and choose that option. It will upload the file to wherever you are in the remote window.

Yeah: my knowledge of this kind of thing's fairly minimal but an .swf needs to be placed in an html page doesn't it?

Yes, you need an HTML page and then you insert some code something like this, where /images/bannerflash.swf is the location/name of the swf:

HTML:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" 

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" id="Untitled.swf" width="320" 

align="middle" height="300">
	<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">
	<param name="movie" value="/templates/template1/images/bannerflash.swf">
	<param name="quality" value="high">
	<param name="wmode" value="opaque">
	<embed src="/images/bannerflash.swf" quality="high"  name="/images/bannerflash.swf" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x- shockwave-flash" 

pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" width="320" align="middle" height="300" wmode="opaque">
</object>

Thanks for the help everyone, I've got this problem sorted, at least I think I have.

The next issue I have, I'm not sure I can fix. Because I've done it in Flash, it needs Flash Player to run online. Problem is, it keeps on telling me I need the latest version of it - which is annoying because I already do. I've even followed the link it shows to download the latest version 3 times. Any way round this?

Yea I've restarted it a few times. Still tells me I need the latest version, so unless there's a secret version somewhere, I'm stumped.

Try embedding the movie with swf object since this is considered the best way of placing flash in a web page: swfobject - SWFObject is an easy-to-use and standards-friendly method to embed Flash content, which utilizes one small JavaScript file - Google Project Hosting

You can download the demo files from there to see how they have embedded an example swf file and basically replace it with your flash file making sure to change the attributes in the html file such as width, height and flash version to match your flash file. You should publish your swf file to the lowest player that you can get away with. Unless you are using lots of new features you should be able to get away with publishing for flash player 9. The vast majority of people who have flash have flash player 10, so if you publish yours for flash player 9 and specify flash player 9 in your html (using swf object) your users shouldn't get any messages saying to upgrade your player since they will be using a newer version than is required anyway, unless in rare cases that have flash player 8 or older installed.

If this is too much effort, just go into your flash publish settings and select 'html' as well as 'swf'. Flash will then generate the html file for you, although it might still require some tweaks depending on if you want it centred etc. You might be able to customise some of this from the html tab in publish settings. Ideally if you can do it with swfobject it would be better.

Well I've tried the 2nd idea you suggested Rich, but it didn't work.
The 1st idea - SWFOBJECT - but once its downloaded I've no idea what I'm doing with it. I am a web beginner so no idea what I'm looking for.

what browser are you using, its well known that changes to swf files done get recognized by browsers, have google around as each browser has different ways of refreshing swf files

ctrl f5 does not always work..

Back