Web Design as a Career

bsugar

Hi everyone,

I've realised that I really do enjoy web design. I am a beginner and have basic knowledge in Photoshop and Dreamweaver and I can also do a bit of handcoding. I think it will definitely benefit me to learn about other programes too but a big question lingers at the back of my mind which is:

Is becoming a self employed/freelance web designer a good idea with all the web templates that are available to download free on so many websites? I have a way to go initially but after I have gained experience working for an employer I would eventually like to become self employed or become a freelancer.

Any advice will be more than appreciated. Thanking you. :icon_notworthy:

Templates are noticeable a mile off, there's nothing like the proper touch.

I refer you to my thread below this one as it should guide you in the self employment part of things.

Hi Connor,

Thanks so much for that information thread. I have just printed it all off and will take it to bed with me. I want sooo much to read it from the computer but one thing I have found is that you can really damage your eyes by working on computers for too long a time. I am learning to only be at the computer when I have to as I caught a serious case of eyestrain this week. I even went to the opticians to check my eyes today and was given a new prescription.

Its great finding something that you are in love with. Thanks again :icon_notworthy:

You'll need to be extremely competent technically and have a range of skills from html, css, php through to graphics design. It won't look good if a customer wants a small addition to the site that requires custom coding and you can't deliver it. On top of technical skills you need great customer facing skills. The vast majority of web design work comes via recommendations so you need to be good at what you do.

Thanks Alex,

This is what I am finding. I'm practising whenever I have the opportunity tough and I still have to learn Php.

Thanks again :icon_biggrin:

Back