Vinyl printing issues

toomuchsaltyum

Hi, new here and wondering if someone can tell me what's happened here. I'm dealing with a new vinyl printer and I've never had this issue in the past they usually look like this - https://www.stickeryou.com/products/clear-stickers/491. At first I supplied him a white logo to be printed on clear vinyl and they told me they don't have white ink to print on clear, and can't die cut on white vinyl as the logo is too intricate. So I then supplied a black logo to be printed on clear vinyl. Having gone to check the job today it looks like it's been printed with a slight opacity added - I've attached close ups of part of the logo. I need to give my feedback to the printers as the client is not happy with the work, but wanted to see if anyone knows what's happened?

Attachments

• IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 10
The ink might not be opaque, so it would have some translucency. Normal enough.
What does it look like from a distance?

If you're not happy with it then ask them what happened and explain why you're not happy with the result.

The images on their website are rip offs from other sites.

I always say - go to a local supplier in your town or near you to get these done. Might be a bit more expensive but way more reliable.

Thanks for your reply. It can't be seen from a distance at all.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I just attached that link as an example of what previous vinyl jobs I've done have looked like - I didn't use that company, I used a local company :giggle:

Might sound like a daft question but why aren't you using cut vinyl instead of printing the design onto clear?
Is it because the design is too intricate to be cut and weeded out?

Might sound like a daft question but why aren't you using cut vinyl instead of printing the design onto clear?
Is it because the design is too intricate to be cut and weeded out?

Yes, the logo is too intricate to be cut out of coloured vinyl. The vinyl printers suggested putting a black background behind it but I think it would look naff having a black box floating in the middle of the window with a white logo in it.

Ahh...I got you.

I've not really used printing on clear before but I can totally see why you're getting these issues.
The ink is just too thin and not opaque enough for windows hence the printer suggesting backing it up with another colour.
I can see why you think that would look odd as it's kind of defeating the object as you may as well just print it onto a board.

Even with traditional sign painting on windows you have this problem (mostly from the inside), even with paints like 1Shot which are super opaque and tend to be backed up with another colour.

I can't really see a work around using that medium to be honest.
Is the design really that complex?

Ahh...I got you.

I've not really used printing on clear before but I can totally see why you're getting these issues.
The ink is just too thin and not opaque enough for windows hence the printer suggesting backing it up with another colour.
I can see why you think that would look odd as it's kind of defeating the object as you may as well just print it onto a board.

Even with traditional sign painting on windows you have this problem (mostly from the inside), even with paints like 1Shot which are super opaque and tend to be backed up with another colour.
I can't really see a work around using that medium to be honest.
Is the design really that complex?

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 8.38.18 pm.png
It's a logo that has a paint brush effect strokes (attached an image of part of the logo) so it's all the smaller wispy parts that mean it can't be cut in white vinyl.

I think it must be the ink they use at this vinyl place as I've never encountered an issue with translucent inks on clear vinyls and I've had numerous done at the previous place I used to use (I've moved and unfortunately can't use my previous supplier anymore). I've managed to find a local place that says they can print opaque white ink on clear vinyl. Would you email the first place and tell them the work isn't up to standard, or leave it as a lesson learned and not use them again?

Is the first pic on the examples you posted what they've done?

If so I can't think how it's been printed as I'd maybe expect to see some banding from the printer but that looks like it's been over printed along the centre.
If you've found someone else that can do it then I'd go with them and just tell the other that the client isn't happy with it so you're trying another option.

Sometimes, people that don't have the kit or skills will have a go without good results, no matter how much they try.
I recently did some graphics for a driving academy and they took the artwork to a "sign guy" for their top boxes and the results were horrible.
Even though I sent them a sized, vector image of their logo the print was heavily pixelated.

Back