VAT on printed items

One of our first VAT inspections (many years ago now) the VATman asked us what we were charging/not charging VAT on. We told him. He said, "Well, you know more about it than me!".
A decent printer should know what to charge VAT on.

lol I can see that happening!
but its true too, you cant tell your customer that your're not sure whether there is vat on an item or not. You will look like you dont know your own business.

One of our first VAT inspections (many years ago now) the VATman asked us what we were charging/not charging VAT on. We told him. He said, "Well, you know more about it than me!".
A decent printer should know what to charge VAT on.

What do you get asked during VAT inspections?

I can't understand why some print would incur VAT and others don't!?!? :icon_confused: I always thought VAT exemption was based on the thing being a nessecity to life - or maybe that's just the old 'yank' me lol

I can't understand why some print would incur VAT and others don't!?!? :icon_confused: I always thought VAT exemption was based on the thing being a nessecity to life - or maybe that's just the old 'yank' me lol

As a rule, anything you would write on has to have VAT. leaflets are 0% rated, but if you have a table or space to write on, you have to charge VAT. if there is a perforation or a voucher, same thing, plus 20% vat.
You might be right about the "necessity" as leaflets are considered essential to promote businesses (maybe thats why they are 0% rated). You cant say that about business cards because they arent used to promote the business. Agin, booklets (list of services maybe to promote the business) they are 0% rated too.

Thats not that bad, we just try to follow what we think is right but in some industries, there are different percentages of tax that you have to add on, 20%, 7% etc etc.

I think a leaflet is up to A4, any thing over is classed as a poster.
What about Menus? Call them menus and they are Vatable, call them price lists, which in theory they are, and then they are zero rated.

Back