Unions - Unite etc.

eddypeck

Just wondering if anyone is a member of a union?

Been having some issue and wondering if it was worth it to know there was a large organisation that had my back

Honestly.... it really depends on the union rep.

I'm not in a union but my Mum is and in all honesty it really can be hit and miss if they're actually of any use from what she's told me about them.

Also don't think that just because they're a big organisation that they'll actually do much more than help you know your rights when it comes to an individual.

Personally if I was in need of 'legal' advice I'd go chat with citizens advice and/or a lawyer.

Thanks for the input, my wife had an issue previously when the small company she worked for was bought out. The new company wanted to make cuts and were underhand about the way they did it.... we needed a lawyer. The outcome was in her favor but it meant the settlement payed the fees and she still lost her job. It was a rubbish time. She thinks if she was in a union it might had played out differently, or at least not cost us so much.

I work for a small firm that has recently been taking over (all be it the old bosses son) but we're clashing, my wife is saying I should join a union.... I just think I'll look for a new job.

To be honest Eddy, I'd just jump ship and vote with your feet.

If you were to get into some argument with the new management then you could only really hope to retain your job under your existing terms or if shit hit the fan, get some sort of compensation.....Eventually,
I think unions work better when the workforce is huge and you're a small fish.
Would you want to work somewhere smaller where you'd won the bosses in a dispute?

The outcome was in her favor but it meant the settlement payed the fees and she still lost her job.
That's why you should add plus legal fees to any claim with a lawyer and I think you could actually sue over the fees as you won but I'm not a legal expert.

Personally I'd just go look for another job if the boss is being an issue, he isn't likely going to change and in all honesty, if he's been gifted the business he's likely going to be the sort where they expect it their way even if it's wrong and won't be changing anytime soon.

Another idea is if you're still friendly with the old boss (ie the Dad) maybe just say that the attitude of his son is making you consider your options in terms of working there, if you're a valued member of the team the Dad might step in as ultimately he built the businesses reputation etc and his son could ruin it in a very short time, if he upsets the staff and they all just up and leave. It's also possible the Dad is still getting some money out of the business too, he's just stepped back from 'day to day'.

Back