Typography Advice

Hi Guys,

Just wondered, when designing type, what words/sentences/phrases do you use?

I can't think of anything worse than using the 'live, laugh, love' and other cliches to showcase a typeface I'd spent time designing.

I usually use the alphabet, that way you can see every letter; in both lower and upper case, but my Uni tutor always said thay was boring.

Obviously, if you're designing for a brand or product, you'd use the name of it in whatever type you'd designed, but I'm not employed as a Graphic Designer yet, so I'm just trying to build a portfolio.

Love to hear your thoughts,

Thanks in advance.

What's wrong with how you see them on font sites - title of font on a nice background, with subtitle underneath. Or show it as a design
on a mock-up, showing how it's intended to be used, using the nicest letters etc?

What's wrong with how you see them on font sites - title of font on a nice background, with subtitle underneath. Or show it as a design
on a mock-up, showing how it's intended to be used, using the nicest letters etc?
To be honest, I haven't really designed any Typography to fit a brief, or for a specific reason other than, I wanted to showcase my creativity and show that type doesn't have to be boring. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

In which case there's nothing wrong with using a nice quote or something, as long as it's a font for body text. If it's a display font, make up a poster design or a
book cover maybe, that suits the style of lettering?

Hello Ajpeacock design,
Writing only a cluster of alphabet on your design won't look nice and professional. Your University guide is right in his own place. As you are making your portfolio, you should do work on variety of niches like flyers, brochures, posters, logos, book covers, quotes etc. You can right the relevant text, essentially you should write some motivational and engaging quotes.

Back