Turnaround time for Brand Identity

gprovan

Hi All,

Interested to know what your stated turnaround times are for logo design and corporate guidelines.
I'm quoting for the rebranding of a mid-level company and pricing is fine. However, they're asking for a fairly precise turnaround time.
Usually I mention around 3-4 days for initial ideas and then just see what the customer feedback is and go from there.

It involves rebranding 2 brand names, creating stationery (letterhead, business card, compliment slip, template for print and online ads) as well as a brand guideline document.

My colleague has suggested I state up to 5 days for initial logo design and a further 7-10 working days for the stationery and brand guidelines. I'm offering a fairly standard brand guideline document.

What do you offer and any other thoughts?

Ta,

Graeme :thumb:

Sounds simple, but ask what their timescales are (and interrogate if necessary - don't take 'asap' as an answer*) and decide if you can work with them; if you can't, explain why and negotiate.

* Also, keep in mind that people will fib if they're reporting to someone else - it's not at all unusual in my experience to pull out all the stops to meet an apparently inflexible deadline and then find that people take a leisurely approach to getting back to you with issues and amends.

It varies from client to client and job to job - some love the first idea you present within a day or so and others will take weeks fine tuning until you eventually reach something they're satisfied with.

As Dave says, finding out their timescale could be a good starting point and, as he also says, the number of times someone pesters you for something urgent then takes a week to come back with any alterations is unreal. Find a way of working to their times and specify if you'll need their assistance in doing so - if they need it within a week, then make sure they'll be readily available in that week to look at ideas with you etc.

There's no point them saying they need everything next Monday but they're not around until then, then come Monday they don't like what's presented to them. It won't work.

Very open ended - could be three days - three months. Depends on the decision making process. Your dates sound reasonable - but a serious caveat must be included concerning client response / speed of sign off / proviso for additional versions / etc.

Hope you're well and life is good Graeme.

Peter

Thanks All,

Yes, I've put these in with the various caveats.
Folk seem to be needing very precise quotes these days, despite not giving precise information themselves :icon_confused:

I quoted for a job recently, a 6pp A4 number with not much info given. I gave a quote based on about 4 hours work and said that this might change depending on what they required. They came back and mentioned that their board didn't like 'wooly quotes' and that another company had quoted specifically 10 hours. 10 hours? I said 'Okay, I'll do it in 10 hours' and they went for it. Crazy!! :dizzy:

Doing well thanks Peter. How about you?

I quoted for a job recently, a 6pp A4 number with not much info given. I gave a quote based on about 4 hours work and said that this might change depending on what they required. They came back and mentioned that their board didn't like 'wooly quotes' and that another company had quoted specifically 10 hours. 10 hours? I said 'Okay, I'll do it in 10 hours' and they went for it. Crazy!! :dizzy:

Result.

I get this sometimes and general reply - as politely as I can - that a woolly estimate is the only sensible response to a woolly brief: provide a clear, fixed brief and I'll see if I can get translate it into a fixed price.

I agree totally. It depends on the client, but usually from my experience it is better to start designing a logo 2-3 days after payment has been made to let the customer calm down unless it is an urgent job. That way you save yourself a headache :)

Back