Trying to make a Wacom Cintiq tablet wireless

Prydonian

Hello! I'm hoping someone here may have tried the same thing and can give me some advice.

I've got a Cintiq Pro 24, and I'd like to be able to have it in a room other than the one with my PC. Since it requires an HDMI cable and a USB cable, as far as I can figure I just need to replace both of those with the appropriate wireless dongle, and I'm all set. Unfortunately, I don't really know which ones to try, or even if my assumption is accurate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks very much!

Since it requires an HDMI cable and a USB cable, as far as I can figure I just need to replace both of those with the appropriate wireless dongle, and I'm all set.

Thanks very much!

It isn't going to work like that....for one thing I don't know of any decent universal 'wireless' adapters (your mouse etc is designed specifically to work with a dongle or bluetooth) and even if you found one you'd also get lag if you were to use it.
Second I don't think there is a reliable wireless hdmi option either, thinks like chromecast won't work if that was what you were thinking.

Essentially the only way to reliably work with your cintiq in another room is a long cable, maybe via extension sockets in walls.... or to buy the wacom cintiq pro engine which basically turns it into a tablet pc.

It isn't going to work like that....for one thing I don't know of any decent universal 'wireless' adapters (your mouse etc is designed specifically to work with a dongle or bluetooth) and even if you found one you'd also get lag if you were to use it.
Second I don't think there is a reliable wireless hdmi option either, thinks like chromecast won't work if that was what you were thinking.

Essentially the only way to reliably work with your cintiq in another room is a long cable, maybe via extension sockets in walls.... or to buy the wacom cintiq pro engine which basically turns it into a tablet pc.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'm a little confused, though... I'm seeing any number of general USB wireless adapters for sale? For HDMI, my searches have turned up a lot of options, but they range in price from $15 to $1500, and I have no idea how to choose. For my purposes lag isn't an issue, since I'll only be using the tablet as a display... as long as it can display static images, that'll be fine.

If worst comes to worst, I guess I can run thirty-foot cables... but, boy, I really don't want to! LOL.

I should say that I'm seeing any number of products for sale that describe themselves as wireless USB adapters. What they actually do I don' t know. But would those not do?

as long as it can display static images, that'll be fine.
There are far easier ways to go about this than what you're trying to do....

I think you need to maybe explain exactly what you're trying to do (include pc operating system) as I suspect there is a far easier way for you to do what you want to do.

There are far easier ways to go about this than what you're trying to do....

I think you need to maybe explain exactly what you're trying to do (include pc operating system) as I suspect there is a far easier way for you to do what you want to do.
I have suspected there might be!

Okay, well, I already have the tablet for the graphic design part of my job, but for the sculpting part of my job I find myself in need of a large, HD screen on which I can display reference images to work from. The Cintiq seems like the perfect candidate, I just need way to get the images onto it. For this purpose it’s just acting as a second monitor, but it has to do it about thirty feet away on my work surface. That’s the long and short of it! Oh, and the actual system is a PC tower running Windows 10.

I have suspected there might be!

Okay, well, I already have the tablet for the graphic design part of my job, but for the sculpting part of my job I find myself in need of a large, HD screen on which I can display reference images to work from. The Cintiq seems like the perfect candidate, I just need way to get the images onto it. For this purpose it’s just acting as a second monitor, but it has to do it about thirty feet away on my work surface. That’s the long and short of it! Oh, and the actual system is a PC tower running Windows 10.
First thought then is a raspberry pi set up to run remote desktop to your pc.... although you'll likely lose the touch screen aspect of the screen and would need a wireless network (to connect the two), mouse and keyboard to work on it. But if all you want is essentially a glorified digital photo frame then it should do the job and shouldn't come out too expensive either. You could also do the same with a cheap laptop or small pc like a nuc but would likely turn out more expensive.

Personally though if you're not interested in moving images around in real time I'd just buy a cheap tv with a usb socket that can show images etc.... I wouldn't want to risk damaging something as costly as the cintiq.

After some more research and consultation, it looks like buying a long HDMI cable and a USB cable with an extender is my best choice. I'm not thrilled about having to run the cords every time, but it seems the most affordable and reliable. I do need to be able to perform basic adjustments to the photos, like zooming and rearranging.

After some more research and consultation, it looks like buying a long HDMI cable and a USB cable with an extender is my best choice. I'm not thrilled about having to run the cords every time, but it seems the most affordable and reliable. I do need to be able to perform basic adjustments to the photos, like zooming and rearranging.
Take a look at my remote desktop links above... remote desktop is basically like working on windows desktop so you'll still be able to zoom in etc, done it plenty of times here between different pc's. The only difference is you'll likely need to use a mouse and keyboard instead a pen.

Back