Total Newbie Here: How do I search for tips on learning this technique


New Member
Hi. I just bought Adobe, and I don't know anything yet. But I want to learn how to take a photograph, for instance of a person's face, and render it into an image that turns the dark shades into negative space, and the light shades into whatever other colour. For instance in the following examples:



PS -- I realize that the latter image may or may not have been rendered from the former, but it is a close comparison nonetheless, that depicts the effect I want to learn how to do.

Can anyone here help me? Thank you.
Filter > Artistic > Cut-Out

I'm using an old version of PS but presume they still have that option, play around with that setting.