Too late to become a designer?

bignige

Hi

I run my own business along with a colleague and a self-employed designer. We publish glossy A5 local advertising magazines.

I am 53 years of age and I am looking at trying to find a course part-time that will give me at least enough knowledge to be able to design print adverts from scratch and also to be able to put together a 32 page magazine.

Any idea how long it will take to be able to achieve the above - for someone with no experience whatsoever?

It may seem a strange request but having been in business for a year we don't have enough work for a full-time permanently employed designer and so use people who also have 'day jobs' and it is often frustrating waiting for designs to come back - so I thought I might see if I can learn how to do it myself!

I may be wrong but is it that difficult - the actual magazine layout is the same every month so I assume that is just a case of setting-up a template?

We don't have customers wanting really fancy designs.

Does anyone know of such a course? I am based in Lincolnshire.

Nige

Who prints your magazine? A lot of small publishing companies pay their printer to design the ads, layup the magazine etc..

Back