The secret to Logo Design

Xenonsoft

What is the secret to logo design?

Well..not so much the secret, but the key concepts to keep in mind for any aspiring brand designer.

I would guess that a good start would be:
  • Simplify everything where possible.
Now, that's just an example from a novice. I hope those with experience could enlighten me in anyway. Possibly through an article, list, whatever you think may help.

I thought of this thread after seeing some of Amanda's great designs: Truly Ace Graphic Design Blog

Last edited:
Simplicity is usually always everything. Sometimes the brief requires a 'clever' design, sometimes an obvious one.

Indeed Eagle, that's as I thought.

However, surely those with experience in the business have developed their knowledge of logo design, and could somehow put into words some of that knowledge?

I may be totally wrong, I don't know, but I thought it was worth asking :).

simplifying is important but for me is generating your overall logo idea is most important that must be unique in nature.

Cheers best links. Welcome to the forums by the way. I agree, it seems simplification and uniqueness are the key factors.

Along with the identity/logo/marque design being...

• Effective
• Memorable
• Meaningful
• Adaptable (across a range of media)

Among others that I'm sure other people will add...

Cheers Dot, that's really helpful. I've got a few requests in for free logo design to bulk the portfolio and will keep that in mind.

Start by designing in solid black and white to get a solid concept and strong design - the last thing you want is a logo which relies on gradients and bling to make it effective. Also, in this way you know that your logo will work on everything - from a simple one colour form to an all singin' and dancin' brochure/sign/van etc. Design first - bling (if any, preferably not glows and gradients and all that pants) later.:icon_smile:

Agreed^^^ With logo's, I try to steer clear from "effects". Sticking to solid colours is always good idea, as it will be suitable for all methods of reproduction - web, digital, print, vinyl and embroidery.

Start by designing in solid black and white to get a solid concept and strong design - the last thing you want is a logo which relies on gradients and bling to make it effective. Also, in this way you know that your logo will work on everything - from a simple one colour form to an all singin' and dancin' brochure/sign/van etc. Design first - bling (if any, preferably not glows and gradients and all that pants) later.:icon_smile:
Totally agree. Read that somewhere a while ago and that really did make sense, design in black and white first and then add anything else that could improve the design later. Always try and steer clear of the overused gradients, drop shadows, outer glows, embosses etc.

Cheers Artgem & Helen :).

I've just been doing some first drawings of my first logo in ages, and I'm really pleased with what I've come up with so far. I'm finding it much easier to do initial ideas on paper, and then bring them to life on illustrator at a later stage.

Back