The Importance of a Domain Name

Google Insights for Search It may not show local searches but it should give results for national and then you could probably stick 'Newcastle' in front of them.

The other way (but it costs) is to develop granular, optimised landing pages in your satellite website and then run very specific Adwords campaigns for what you think will be key search terms, i.e. 'flyer designer in Newcastle' and see what the Campaign Dashboard and Analytics can tell you.

Granularity is the key to not pi**ing away cash on Adwords :icon_biggrin:

Okee dokee, so I put in as a keyword 'graphic design'. Then sorted them by search number.
[web design] and [website design] as well as [logos] are the top 3 results there.
What would I then do with that information?

You need to be more specific in the words you are searching for, for example...

Try:

website design newcastle
newcastle website designer
website design in newcastle

etc etc, see which gets the most 'exact' searches per month, so from my example lets say the last one did, purchase websitedesigninnewcastle.co.uk and optimise the domain content wise for that search term, get some links in from other sites on the same topic for that phrase and hopefully in time this domain will appear on page 1 of google for that term, linking to your main website will also help it rank for that term (but don't link back to it from your main site).

I am by no means a professional at this so you have to try and see really, the problem you will no doubt find is that all decent keyword domains will have already been purchased.

Haha no bother. That makes sense :)
I too am no expert at this sort of thing. I haven't even settled on a name for my 'studio' yet. I was quite inspired to have something like tynedesigns.com or something yesterday, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, so they've got the domains all tied up, I've seen the ones you inboxed me just now and I'm going to email you in just a tick :)

I notice a lot of agencies and freelancers use 'creative' or some variation in their names, tag lines or domain names. I don't think it's a particularly popular search keyword but I guess it's a possibility name wise, since it's kind of all encompassing?

Back