The End of Print (for design week anyway)

A sad day. Although a self-confessed web monkey I do still like to settle down with a a proper magazine rather than consume everything online. I spend enough of my day staring at a screen and code and need to give my eyes a rest in the evenings.

A sad day. Although a self-confessed web monkey I do still like to settle down with a a proper magazine rather than consume everything online. I spend enough of my day staring at a screen and code and need to give my eyes a rest in the evenings.

Same for me - when I want to read to relax and enjoy, I want to do it away from a computer.

I'm all for having the choice of how to read, but to force something like this only online is just plain wrong! With a design magazine in particular, pictures/photos are important, but you can't get much of a look at them on your phone because you want to read while you're travelling/comfy on the sofa on an evening/in the bath/in the park while the kids are playing...

Wow, that's really sad to see, I can see why it would happen though. I get Computer Arts on a monthly basis and I often struggle to read that before I get the next one - I have to actually put time in my diary for reading it now lol! So a weekly publication just wouldn't suit me, I'd never keep up with it. It must have been a logistical nightmare to keep that magazine going (although after that many years they probably have it down to a fine art!), I mean, all the new stories, writing, editing, keeping up with what's new, the artwork, the proofing, printing.

I am a stickler for printed stuff though, MUCH prefer looking at graphic design in print than on web, especially when nice printing techniques are used. And I love the smell of paper. My screen just doesn't have the same whiff. Maybe they should make paper scented screen wipes! Yeah! On it! Gerrof - it was my idea!

I think the idea of transferring everything to the screen is overrated. I can understand that you have to keep up with the times but I actually think, even in this digital age that this is going to lose rather than gain readers. I am a subscriber to Design Week but I am seriously considering cancelling.

As mentioned above, I like to read, put down, scribble on, make notes on my printed material, not have to start my mac up to do so. Design Week was all about the recruitment pages and the classifieds and sometimes it's down to how quickly and easily you can find something you are looking for.

It's a sad day but I think they've made a mistake here.

As many of you have stated, I too prefer reading printed material as opposed to staring at a screen, especially when it's printed well as linziloop mentioned. I often plan to switch off the technology and have a read in the garden or something to get away from things.

I suppose it's understandable, you can't really compete when other sources are giving the same content away for free, but I'd be happy to pay if I knew I was getting something exclusive that justified the £3.20 per issue.

They're still offering benefits to subscribers, but it'll be interesting to see how much their readership changes.

Back