The end of Flash?

Yes, for websites anyway.

I've never considered myself a web designer / coder so from the outside looking in I've always had the impression that Flash was more a beneficial luxury than a necessity, however, over the last few years it has become a luxury that really isn't needed. Would I be right?

I've never considered myself a web designer / coder so from the outside looking in I've always had the impression that Flash was more a beneficial luxury than a necessity, however, over the last few years it has become a luxury that really isn't needed. Would I be right?

I think you are right. Flash games will still have their place (something to do at lunchtime) but the advances with the JQuery framework and, more recently, HTML5 combined with the iNotcompatible devices has pretty much killed it for web and portable devices.

Is it worth me learning HTML5/CSS3 yet? By that I mean are browsers supporting it?

I am using both all the time. CSS3 is especially useful but check out browser support at CSS3 Selectors Test - CSS3 . Info when it comes to selectors as that could get embarrassing!

I am of the mindset now that there are CSS3 and HTML5 compliant browsers out there, right now, to download for free. So why should I stunt my development options to suit those browsers that don't?

The only time I'd think twice is if developing for local government :icon_wink:

Back