Technical Development in Illustration Survey

e_1llus

This questionnaire is focusing on illustration with reference to the development in technology. I am interested in considering and researching whether the evolution of technology is having an impact on the natural creative ability of illustrators. I'd really appreciate it if any illustrators could fill this out for my dissertation research!

https://forms.gle/R7kDQ7RiK39hh6Kz7

I've answered, but in addition as I don't think the questions gave the opportunity to expand. I'm not sure if my opinon counts for much as I'm no longer classed as an illustrator I suppose.

I was trained as a technical illustrator, ink pen and drafting film on a drawing board! Pretty much by the time my 4 year course was over the industry had changed and draughting rooms were filled with computers. Technology killed my passion to 'draw'.

Over the years I've stepped over lines and from illustration to page layout to magazine design to website design to responsive and app design... some days I wish I could roll back to my college years and take a different path. I haven't actually illustrated in a long time which makes me a little sad, perhaps now its not my profession I think maybe I could take it up as a hobby but unfortunately have little times for it... maybe when I retire.

Don't expect too many answers to your survey as there aren't many illustrators on here. However, there's plenty on here who have commissioned illustrations, so maybe
the questions could be expanded to encompass others.

The questions are a bit general though. For instance, it depends when one started as an illustrator. When I started out there were no computers and drawing skills were a must. Today, if
someone does a few illustrated logos using Adobe Illustrator, they can call themselves an illustrator but they probably can't draw for toffee. It also depends what kind of work they do.
Half of my work is still done traditionally because I work mainly in children's books these days, and so I'm fighting sometimes against using technology. So personally, I think technology
has been more of a help than a hindrance to my abilities, I just wonder how much life drawing is done in uni's these days, not a lot I bet!

I've answered, but in addition as I don't think the questions gave the opportunity to expand. I'm not sure if my opinon counts for much as I'm no longer classed as an illustrator I suppose.

I was trained as a technical illustrator, ink pen and drafting film on a drawing board! Pretty much by the time my 4 year course was over the industry had changed and draughting rooms were filled with computers. Technology killed my passion to 'draw'.

Over the years I've stepped over lines and from illustration to page layout to magazine design to website design to responsive and app design... some days I wish I could roll back to my college years and take a different path. I haven't actually illustrated in a long time which makes me a little sad, perhaps now its not my profession I think maybe I could take it up as a hobby but unfortunately have little times for it... maybe when I retire.
I really appreciate you taking the time to fill this questionnaire out. I studied Art and Design, using traditional methods, and am now studying Graphic Design where I am definitely primarily using digital. It's been very interesting researching how technology has developed in relation to illustration, from applications mimicking traditional elements such as brush strokes, to the change in how illustration is taught with the rise in platforms such as Youtube. But I can definitely appreciate the pro's and con's of both approaches and personally enjoy using both!

Back