T-shirt design payment

Hello everyone,

I have had a work enquiry in for T-shirt design. Previously I have designed apparel which are meant for staff and supporters of a company so have designed for an hourly rate.

The new enquiry is for someone who wants to set up an online t-shirt and clothing business. So in terms of pricing I wonder whether a fixed price or a fixed price plus royalites would be appropriate in this case?

Care to share your experiences?

Thanks,
Phil

In this situation it depends what is required. I recently had a similar enquiry where someone wanted me to produce designs for a clothing range. As they had nothing to work from apart from an idea in their head, I quoted for the concept & creation of a brand and then worked out a fixed cost for each individual design.

Sit down with the job spec, decide what's needed for the client to leave happy then work out how long it'll take to make them happy.

For example; If you tell them you want £2500 for the whole job, they won't be happy but if you say, you want £500 for the initial branding (if needed) then £250 per design to be staggered monthly over a 10 month period, the client gets a complete clothing range within a year and you get a constant drip of money into your account.

Hope that helps.

Dave,

P.S. I'm not suggesting you charge those figures, they were just the first numbers to pop into my head.

This doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd mention this site I came across, basically allowing designers to sell their t-shirt designs, nice looking website too. MySoti

Hello everyone,

I have had a work enquiry in for T-shirt design. Previously I have designed apparel which are meant for staff and supporters of a company so have designed for an hourly rate.

The new enquiry is for someone who wants to set up an online t-shirt and clothing business. So in terms of pricing I wonder whether a fixed price or a fixed price plus royalites would be appropriate in this case?

Care to share your experiences?

Thanks,
Phil

make sure you get a full design in up front as online shops can go on and on and on. I did this in australa for a print shop and there were just endless "addons" - chalk it up to experience

Also, establish exactly who is going to be uploading the products/photos, sizes and maintaining them, You can always offer to do it at a fixed rate etc but you can end up doing endless work for nothing.

Back