Sub-contracting

grapher1

Hi My name is Paul Little and I'm a freelance Graphic Designer.
I'm just wondering if any of you are working in design agencies and happen to subcontract to designers like myself?
Here's a link to my website: LittlesDesigns
I used to work in a printers and while the experience was great for learning about print techniques I got hungry for design.
I graduated in 2008 with a 1st in Graphic Design BA (hons) I worked in retail after I graduated as I couldn't get a job with anyone. I started work with the printers 1 year ago and thats the closest I've got to a design job so far. Because the printers wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my career I decided to leave, to became a self employed designer. I'm just starting out and have some work already but will need more.
I've contacted design agencies and they say they're interested but don't have a large work load themselves at the moment, so will get in touch when they do.
So the idea is to ask online and keep asking until work comes in. If any of you have advice on how to get work for freelancers, like myself, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Hey mate, welcome to the forums.

A lot of people on here are in the same position (and are likely to get priority over any jobs from other members). The only thing I can recommend is contribute to the forum and keep checking the jobs section on here.

Don't forget the power of working locally either. Ask everyone you know if they know of anyone who's likely to need your services. Leave business cards in cafes, coffee shops, community centres, libraries, literally anywhere you can think of. And it may be a dated technique but try to convince a local shop owner to allow you to commandeer their window space and try something creative with it...

Best use of a shop window postcard space | David Airey, graphic designer

Hey,

Thanks for your advice! I'm currently waiting for some business cards, they're being printed.
I'll try those things and I know of a few places I can possibly commandeer a shop window.

Thanks again

It's all about getting your name out there. People aren't going to know what you can do unless you show them :D

Back