Starting out - Graphics to accompany music

sequence303

Not sure at all where to even start, but I am making music (electronic) and want a visual to accompany it.

I first planned to make plotagraphs out of still pictures, but that seems a bit lame. Then thought maybe a graphics tablet with the pencil things, but I can't really draw.

Now I am thinking something like a graphics tablet or software on the PC using pre-made assets, where I could drag them and arrange them, somehow animate them e.g. make a tree blow in the wind, stars twinkle, water flow, clouds move etc... simple nature scenes. This could either be stylistic/cartoony or realistic looking.

A bonus would be syncing little animations to the music. Not sure if that is possible.

I am willing to buy an iPad or tablet or whatever software I need.

What suggestions to you have? Is there any apps/software you think I should check out?

Thank you.

Yeah Plotaverse was the thing I had in mind initially, but want to move away from that. The results are pretty cheesy.

Plus it is subscription based, but then again so is After Effects these days I think. AE seems like professional stuff, is there anything more beginner level?

Honestly I don't think you need to do anything too fancy with the video these days, especially if you're starting out where you'd likely be better off spending time on making more music. Places like bandcamp don't even have videos in most cases.

I've seen videos which are basically just slowmo video's with the music going over the top like below

I've seen some which are literally just an image with the music over the top and I've even seen some which are an image with a graphic equaliser or sound wave type thing over the top like below

Yeah I've seen the graphic equaliser thing, to be honest new music is a dime a dozen. I think I read somewhere a million new tracks released/uploaded to the internet every day. You gotta be deluded to think you are going to make any sort of impact amongst that... so in my mind it is all about the package, and crappy random pictures doesn't cut it.

That's why I had the idea about bespoke animated still pictures that fit the music perfectly.

Yeah I've seen the graphic equaliser thing, to be honest new music is a dime a dozen. I think I read somewhere a million new tracks released/uploaded to the internet every day. You gotta be deluded to think you are going to make any sort of impact amongst that... so in my mind it is all about the package, and crappy random pictures doesn't cut it.

That's why I had the idea about bespoke animated still pictures that fit the music perfectly.
Personally I'd say it's about the music but that's just me....

Yeah Plotaverse was the thing I had in mind initially, but want to move away from that. The results are pretty cheesy.

Plus it is subscription based, but then again so is After Effects these days I think. AE seems like professional stuff, is there anything more beginner level?

Yep! I get you.
It is totally over the top and cheesy I agree. :D
I wouldn't bother with After Effects unless you know how to use it and have it all ready.

I think there's a lot you can do with just some standard video editing software and kind of switch shots on the down beat, pan across static images, add blur transitions and stuff.
I think a lot is about keeping it simple, being creative and not too distracting.

This is WAY better than anything I could hope to do, but the vibe and general idea are in the same direction.

I am making less music and more ambience.

This is WAY better than anything I could hope to do, but the vibe and general idea are in the same direction.

I am making less music and more ambience.

Cryengine, which is what's powering that is basically the same thing that runs a game like crysis. The scenery made in that would have been done in one the many 3D programs out there and then some extra code added for the things like wind/ripples etc

Back